Winch mounting

mike2060

Im getting my t6.1 (4motion) fitted with VB air suspension. It has the air compressor mounted in the spare wheel space on the back. I also plan to add a winch at some point and now I'm just asking around to see how compatible it can be.

I am taking inspirations from SpaceCamper, Terranger, delta4x4 & Co. | planBwagen.de this guy over here and I noticed he has his winch mounted in the spare wheel space as well.

Then I found Seikel has whole kits for mounting a winch behind front bumper. Seikel being $$$$ plus I think they require the kit to be mounted in Germany is out of the window, but I also found few other brands offering kits for front bumpers. But only Terranger does it on the back Seilwinden Montagesatz für VW T5-T6.1, als Zentralwinde für Front u.

Does anyone have any experience with winches?

Why is the compressor mounted in the spare wheel space? Standard VB fitment is under the van below the passenger seat. The air receiver is behind the nearside rear wheel.

Then I have to ask the place that offered me to fit it. If I remember correctly it had something to do to the emergency valves. I have to ask them again

Then I have to ask the place that offered me to fit it. If I remember correctly it had something to do to the emergency valves. I have to ask them again
My emergency valves are under the bonnet behind the nearside headlight.

Oh, that is interesting. Do you have something I could reference when I will be talking to that shop? Any manual, specific kit number, etc ?

Oh, that is interesting. Do you have something I could reference when I will be talking to that shop? Any manual, specific kit number, etc ?
Not off the top of my head. I’m away until mid March, so can’t get any info off the van, sorry. Mine is a standard VB install using the vehicle specific kit, so should be pretty run of the mill. FYI, mine’s a LWB T6 4mot.

Okay, thats already something. Mine is T6.1 SWB 4mot so maybe there is less space for those fittings.
And am also away until mid March, just getting in line for the fitting.

Ok, I got off the phone with the shop and there must have been some miscommunication before. The VB recommends installation outside the spare wheel space, and they will do it 'by the book'. Turns out even in swb has enough space for that.

However, mounting the reservoir in the dedicated space slightly lowers ground clearance. They mentioned that they had someone who wanted extra ground clearance and asked them to move the res to the spare wheel space.

At this point I want to ask what differences are between front or underbody winch mounting?

I have mounted my winch on a plate and plan to hook it on the tow-bar at the back and use a bridle from the towing eyes at the front.

IMG_3438.jpeg

IMG_3439.jpeg

I still need to run the cables to Anderson plugs front and rear to power it.

I also like that I can use it on other vehicles and don’t have to take it if I don’t think I will need it, it’s heavy!

Im getting my t6.1 (4motion) fitted with VB air suspension. It has the air compressor mounted in the spare wheel space on the back. I also plan to add a winch at some point and now I'm just asking around to see how compatible it can be.

I am taking inspirations from SpaceCamper, Terranger, delta4x4 & Co. | planBwagen.de this guy over here and I noticed he has his winch mounted in the spare wheel space as well.

Then I found Seikel has whole kits for mounting a winch behind front bumper. Seikel being $$$$ plus I think they require the kit to be mounted in Germany is out of the window, but I also found few other brands offering kits for front bumpers. But only Terranger does it on the back Seilwinden Montagesatz für VW T5-T6.1, als Zentralwinde für Front u.

Does anyone have any experience with winches?
Have a word with T5 Upgrades in Wales, I’m sure they can fit front mounted winches.
Or volkstrek, also in Wales

Unfortunately I got quite far to the UK, but thanks for the tip. Seeing the costs I am not rather leaning towards a portable winch. Easily 10% of the price and could be used in the garage to lift something etc.

Unfortunately I got quite far to the UK, but thanks for the tip. Seeing the costs I am not rather leaning towards a portable winch. Easily 10% of the price and could be used in the garage to lift something etc.
You can get a towball mounted winch & use an Anderson connector to plug it in. I have Anderson connectors front & rear on the van. I have an electric winch on our boat trailer.

Back