Wide tyres 16” rims

Lubrown

T6 Guru
Hi all,

I have looked at many wheel and tyre posts but not seen anyone mention 235/60/R16.

This is a tyre size mentioned on the b pillar sticker of my t5.1 t28 Highline. I’m really interested as I’m not bothered by big alloys I just want rude comfort and lower noise if possible.

I did see the video someone posted somewhere on here about upgrading to 235s on 17” rims and how the ride improved noticeably.

I would need to change my 16x6.5j Colmars to a 7j wheel I think.

Has anyone else done this or got the 235/60R16 tyres? Are they the best thing ever or are they pants?
I find my 215/60R16c are quite harsh. Looking at the difference in PSI I would expect a better ride with the 235s but am I dreaming?

Thoughts welcome.

IMG_1303.jpeg

Seriously, when you have a few quid to spare, get in touch with Steve @CRS Performance, he will make such a difference to your existing ride, you will be amazed. His advice, free, is worth a call. He's the man!

Seriously, when you have a few quid to spare, get in touch with Steve @CRS Performance, he will make such a difference to your existing ride, you will be amazed. His advice, free, is worth a call. He's the man!
Thanks for the reply.

Steve already fitted Koni special actives and advised for the best ride with those shocks to keep it stock height - which I was happy with.

I considered beefed up ARBs but the roll and pitch really aren’t bad. Steve didn’t push hard on those either really.

I appreciate it won’t ever be car like as it’s a panel van. Well, a van someone chopped up and stuck loads of extra bits on/in to make it a camper.

However I reckon tyres with heavy duty sidewalls and running at high pressure could be bettered. Maybe I’m hoping for something that’s not realistic?

Steve isn't a pusher, perhaps he should be! I did the ARB thing and it worked for me. My van previously was a cross between a pogo stick and a space hopper (as someone quoted on here) and Steve's complete set up is simply beautiful. Quiet, comfortable, and less like a van. Love it, now!

Steve isn't a pusher, perhaps he should be! I did the ARB thing and it worked for me. My van previously was a cross between a pogo stick and a space hopper (as someone quoted on here) and Steve's complete set up is simply beautiful. Quiet, comfortable, and less like a van. Love it, now!
Maybe ARB should stay on the list for Santa.
Just not sure they can remedy a crash ride.

Maybe ARB should stay on the list for Santa.
Just not sure they can remedy a crash ride.
Sadly no they can’t help the ride. Stability in corners is what they do. Particularly in a camper with pop top roof causing a higher than normal centre of gravity

In my experience the larger diameter wheel / lower profile tyre you go, the harsher the ride.

What is the context of what you’ve read? If someone has dropped from 20” wheels to 17”, that will soften the ride.

I run 18” Amarok steels with 235/50 tyres and used to run 17” winters 235/55 tyres. The winter tyres definitely gave a softer ride mainly I expect due to a taller side wall.

Ian

Has anyone else done this or got the 235/60R16 tyres?
@chriscroft has tried about every tyre going!
I ran Lat-X 10 years ago on my T5 Vel (235/60/16) superb tyre.
I just got the bug for All-Season 3PMSN tyres (Directional), so I moved on. But the the Lat-X is superb

I would guess it's purely a financial decision; 205's are cheaper, and are adequate for their intended use.
Not sure you would notice much differance with a 215, may be a little;
but some years ago I switched to 235/60/16, and found them significantly better in all areas.

@chriscroft has tried about every tyre going!
Thanks, that’s awesome.

Not sure why my search didn’t find this in the first place.

Michelin do their Cross Climate in that size and Hankook have a directional all season too - seems like a size smaller SUVs use.

If I do go down this route I’ll be back to post my thoughts.

Cheers

In my experience the larger diameter wheel / lower profile tyre you go, the harsher the ride.

What is the context of what you’ve read? If someone has dropped from 20” wheels to 17”, that will soften the ride.

I run 18” Amarok steels with 235/50 tyres and used to run 17” winters 235/55 tyres. The winter tyres definitely gave a softer ride mainly I expect due to a taller side wall.

Ian
The video I saw was someone going from narrower tyres I think on the same 17” wheel size (or maybe 16”s). Their new wider tyres allowed lower pressures and they felt it gave a much better ride. The video comparison from inside the van showed it got rid of some of the rattling over harsh road surfaces. That’s what I’m after too.

Back