Whooshing Noise From Engine

Pauljoanss

Have seen some threads on this subject but my son's van has some differences.
The whooshing noise only comes on when accelerating but after a few seconds it stops and at the same time, power and acceleration increase. Its as if the noise was holding back the power.
Several times, but not always, the red coil light has come up on the dashboard at the same time as the whoosh. It then stays on continually until the ignition is turned off.
Smell of exhaust fumes in cab and little amber engine fault light showing on dashboard continually.

Lots of suggestions about split pipes etc but since this effect switches on and off then difficult to imagine it could be caused by a permanent split. All ideas welcome.

Probably a leaking / split hose or damaged intercooler (if intercooler type engine).
The reason that you think it ‘switches on & off’ is what is noticeable to the driver, audible and pressure (performance) loss.
It should be easy to locate as the induction air will carry some oil from the crankcase breather and possibly turbocharger seals, there will be an oily stain.
Or it’s a split EGR pipe which will be obvious when inspected.

Thanks DXX for your comments. Just to emphasis that the whoosh noise starts gently but switches off very sharply and power immediately increases.
Just don't feel like an effect which could be caused by a permanant leak.

Going into a local garage on Wednesday and I will report back.

Very sorry for long delay, went to garage, split EPG diagnosed and fixed in one day, cost £120.
Could have knocked me over with a feather!

Very sorry for long delay, went to garage, split EPG diagnosed and fixed in one day, cost £120.
Could have knocked me over with a feather!
EPG?
What was the part number on the invoice?

Ohh, it was my sons van and invoice.
I will ask him but not sure he will have the invoice and in my experience they normally just say parts.
Will check anyway.

See if the sound is coming from then bypass valve filters..

Under bonnet, very top, at back.

Under wipers.

Back