Which would you buy and why?

jimc91

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Morning all

Looking to buy my first T6 having been a proud owner of a T2 until someone decided to remove it from my drive in the middle of the night :mad:
Been lurking on this forum on and off for a year so already have lots of great pointers from everyone already

Have shortlisted 2 possibles; both Highline panel vans, 102BHP T28, similar condition, same price and both said to have FSH. I'm happy with my choice of spec as its only going to be a daily driver converted to a day van for the occasional camping trip. One is on a 2017 plate 29K on the clock, one on a 2018 plate 39K on the clock. Would you go for the higher mileage with a years manufacturers warranty left or the lower mileage.

All thoughts gratefully received

Or whichever was a clean/dry trade van if the other was a dirty/wet trade. There can be a big difference in the condition of the interior depending on the use they had.
IMHO the mileage is not that important.

Do either have LED headlights...?

Might sway it for me...
No both seem to have the same bog standard ones - I've read a lot on here about LEDS but haven driven a T2 with candles i'm hoping the standard ones will be good enough

also consider what the service history is like on both...

One may reflect its been better looked after

I tend to go for higher mileage vehicles as a lot of people think that 50k is high, where I think that's low!
My T6 is on 80k, T5 on 175k and my old A8 is on 120k. Although to caveat that theory, I'd add that I'm certain that newer engines (in fact newer cars and van's in general) will not quite hold up like older ones due to spreadsheet engineering and of course VW's very own Dieselgate, done to prolong the life of DPF's and other components.
It's not a guarantee, but IMO it's tricky to put a high mileage on a young van without it going up and down motorways all day, so less strain on components etc.

I tend to go for higher mileage vehicles as a lot of people think that 50k is high, where I think that's low!
My T6 is on 80k, T5 on 175k and my old A8 is on 120k. Although to caveat that theory, I'd add that I'm certain that newer engines (in fact newer cars and van's in general) will not quite hold up like older ones due to spreadsheet engineering and of course VW's very own Dieselgate, done to prolong the life of DPF's and other components.
It's not a guarantee, but IMO it's tricky to put a high mileage on a young van without it going up and down motorways all day, so less strain on components etc.
thanks for the reply - I've decided to go with the higher mileage as my first choice, as the extra warranty will bring piece of mind. That said my car has 110k and is still going strong so probably shouldn't put too much emphasis on the 10K difference in miles. Spoke with the garage today, been used by a building surveyor/manager so hopefully not had a hard two years so far. Just waiting on more info, they are happy to take a holding deposit then take a look when this lock down is done (whenever that is)

Back