Which Order?

cy294

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Having owned out T6 for over a month,

I am now thinking about the next mod. Alloy wheels or lowering?

We currently have 16ins Clayton's on a T30 kombi Highline and looking to get 18" just for simplicity.

Do the alloys come first then lowering or vice versa.

Also for lowering, I'm on a budget and thought about just changing the springs. There are lots of posts about different makes that are 30mm or 40mm.

We tow a caravan abroad every year and at various other times, so do want any issues in terms of problems.

So any advice from others who have far more experience and knowledge than me will be great fully received as I have found out from other posts I have made. So thanks to you all so far.

I had the same thoughts when I bought mine - I went for the wheels first (18s) as I always felt the steering was a bit twitchy with the standard 17s and the wider rubber on the 18s transformed how the van turned into corners. In the end didn't bother lowering it as they look fine at standard ride height (20s would probably look daft though). I tow a caravan too and the standard ride height works well for not having the caravan with a dragster stance behind you.

Personally I prefer the look of a lowered van on standard wheels than bigger wheels on standard height.
My van & previous lowered on h&r springs which I have no complaints with, lots of towing a twin axle long distance.
Enjoy whichever route you decide!

Thanks for the responses so far teamfly and Mooncat. Apologies for the spelling and grammar. Beer whilst on hols is obviously affecting me. :)

Having owned out T6 for over a month,

I am now thinking about the next mod. Alloy wheels or lowering?

We currently have 16ins Clayton's on a T30 kombi Highline and looking to get 18" just for simplicity.

Do the alloys come first then lowering or vice versa.

Also for lowering, I'm on a budget and thought about just changing the springs. There are lots of posts about different makes that are 30mm or 40mm.

We tow a caravan abroad every year and at various other times, so do want any issues in terms of problems.

So any advice from others who have far more experience and knowledge than me will be great fully received as I have found out from other posts I have made. So thanks to you all so far.

Ok, so this is the current train of thought. Lower 40mm on Cobra Springs first as finance wont stretch that far for anything else i.e. Bilsteins.

Keep current alloys which are 16ins Clayton's as again, Finances won't alloy for 18ins or 19ins. Am I Mad?

Anyone got pics of their vans lowered with just their standard alloys / Clayton's?

TIA

Here is ours. Lowered 50mm on H&R springs. Original 16 inch Clayton's. Don't want to change alloys as I like the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate tyres and they currently have limited size options.

DSC_8122.JPG

DSC_8407.JPG

Here is ours. Lowered 50mm on H&R springs. Original 16 inch Clayton's. Don't want to change alloys as I like the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate tyres and they currently have limited size options.

View attachment 51269

View attachment 51270

Thanks for the info, I know Bilsteins are the the gold standard, but do the springs improve the handling slightly? In other words reduces the bounce when travelling?

I was in the same position as you and for months contemplated getting a budget set of coil overs. After hours of reading forums and chatting on here I decided to bite the bullet and go for the best.

Solows made by Bilstein fitted by Transporter HQ
18” banded steels 8.5”/9” made by Duchy Banded Steels with 255 45 18 tyres

Yes it’s a fair price to pay but 100% worth it!

I can honestly say this has transformed the van like you wouldn’t believe. Not only does it now drive amazing it also look amazing and so many people stop me and ask me about the setup

I’m a firm believer that if you buy cheap you buy twice in the long term.

48E55B49-66F6-4744-B927-888BD3E53A4B.jpeg

Last edited:
do the springs improve the handling slightly?

The lowering springs certainly make it a much firmer ride. Not going to be like the Bilsteins for ride comfort I guess but never experienced them. Also have H&R roll bars which make a big difference to roll.

I don't want to slam ours down to an impractical height as we use the van for camping not just for show.

Thanks all for the replies to date. I'd be grateful if more pics could be posted of lowered vans whether springs or coilovers on standard Clayton's
T

Update - haven't yet done the lowering springs due to time. Going for H &R 40mm. One thing that has crossed my mind is. As we tow a caravan, does the rear have to be on stiffer springs to compensate for the weight of caravan and will that cause the rear to be higher when unladen? I have a T30 Highline SWB.

Thanks all.

Back