Which is best T6 for future residual value?

I am currently specking a couple of T6 for me and my Co-Director at work. I want to ensure we get all the bits we want but also to future proof it as much as possible in terms of future value. I am thinking as follows:

-SWB
-Kombi
-Tailgate
-DSG

Not Sure
- 4Motion?
-Blackberry?

We may well convert them to campers in a couple of years or sell them on for someone else to do the same so any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Darren

My suggestions:
  • SWB Kombi's are in high demand second hand as they are ideal for leisure vehicles either as is or for conversion.
  • 150ps is probably enough power for most people - no need for 204ps
  • DSG vs manual is a tough call, but it seems there are still a few DSG issues out there
  • 4motion is probably not needed by most people but they are scarce S/H so may get a slight premium
  • Tailgate is standard on a Kombi
  • Probably worth going Highline because most of the kit included is standard in cars
  • The LED headlights are brilliant but stupidly expensive. The Light and Vision 'Plus' pack or whatever its called gives perfectly good lighting at half the LED price
  • Discover media with Carplay option as this is standard in most cars now
  • Any of the metallic colours

California ;)
This is clearly the answer :)

I was looking on Autotrader last night and 1 year old California Beaches are being sold for more than I paid new. Of course, it could be that no-one actually pays close to the asking price, but still it's quite bizarre!

This is clearly the answer :)

I was looking on Autotrader last night and 1 year old California Beaches are being sold for more than I paid new. Of course, it could be that no-one actually pays close to the asking price, but still it's quite bizarre!
A big reason we bought new; there was hardly any difference from lightly used!

For reference though we bought our last Cali for £44,750 (RRP £53k) and sold it three years later to a main dealer for £34k with 22750 miles. One cheeky dealer offered £28k in p/x for a VW car.
So yes they do hang onto their money (a similar car probably would have got low £20k) but it's not quite as much as dealers would have you believe.
And many owners selling them are living in la la land.

Its the same with panel vans though, take my many, many extra's on top of highline 204 dsg, twin slider, tailgate, led's etc. I achieved around £5k off of list from the dealer and ended up around £29.5k+ vat, over five years I expect it to drop around £10k and be snapped up by someone wanting to convert, that's as cheap as running a Renault Trafic (my old one) which starts at £15k ish and drops to £5k over the same five years .

A much nicer place to sit in the T6 for the next few years.

Last edited:
While I'm under no illusions whatsoever about resale prices, at least VW vans are pretty strong (although not as strong as some suggest), insurance is VERY cheap, RFL isn't too bad and servicing is so infrequent, it works out cheap.
So IMO they are a good place to put money - for the joy they give, the things they do, it's hard to find a more fun "investment" than a decent VW van.

And IMO "investment" isn't just financial - it's about wellbeing.

Absolutely, you can't put a price on happiness, wellbeing, and spending time with family, which are all the things that my bus brings.

I think if you are planning to swap in a few years/sell, then you should probably think about a solutions package?

IN a kombi van the best spec for residuals are;

204 DSG 4Motion, in either LWB or SWB. The more options the better.

Or order a California.

No sir., you are completely wrong. The more options the better, with Kombi's

We have just sold two very high spec 2013 and 2014 Highline kombis, both for £30k plus VAT. Could have sold them both 2 or 3 times, the phone literally rang off the hook. Anything fully loaded, and especially with leather etc, will hold their money very well.

But hey, what do I know ;-)

Hmmmm sounds good, when I bought my Exec the salesman told me high spec fares best, he had a buyer that day picking up a 3 1/2 year old loaded velle for £35k.

Back