Wheels: OEM or Aftermarket ?

What wheels do you have?

• OEM

Votes: 30 73.2%
  • After Market

Votes: 13 31.7%

• Total voters
What are peoples thoughts on Amarok 19" Aragonit wheels in black on a Candy White Caravelle? They are £277 each from VW, so not out of the way for a OEM wheel I don't think.

These were in black, but needed a refurb when I bought them, so went bronze. I think black will look good on a white van.

If you are patient they come up on flea bay and here for a lot less than VW prices.
fullsizeoutput_320.jpeg

If you buy second hand, by the time you've paid for a top notch refurb to make them look like new, you are getting on for the cost of new anyway. That's what I've found anyway.

If you buy second hand, by the time you've paid for a top notch refurb to make them look like new, you are getting on for the cost of new anyway. That's what I've found anyway.

Not quite, but I understand where you are coming from. I didn't want black or silver anyway so it was a no brainer for me.

I found the Devonports a little shy so I put 25mm spacers all round to help with the appearance
ditto, and upgrade tyres one size from 235/55/17 to 235/60/17.

I've got some 18" Amarok alloy wheels in the garage (they came of our own Amarok); I keep thinking about getting the Amaroks re coated with "Smoked/Shadow Chrome";
But I also keep looking at Palmerston; either way 235/55/18 Nokian Weatherproof SUV will be going on.

ditto, and upgrade tyres one size from 235/55/17 to 235/60/17.

I've got some 18" Amarok alloy wheels in the garage (they came of our own Amarok); I keep thinking about getting the Amaroks re coated with "Smoked/Shadow Chrome";
But I also keep looking at Palmerston; either way 235/55/18 Nokian Weatherproof SUV will be going on.
Whether it’s Toluca, Springfield or Palmerston’s, they all seem to be about £2k

There's a really scruffy set of the chromey Aragonits on ebay I've just seen. They work out about £270 cheaper than new by the time they've been refurbed and had new center caps. That's before the time not earning and the diesel to get them to and from Lepsons (other refurbers are available), so in this case, not much in it. Plus, when they are stripped, you don't know what they might find.

There's a really scruffy set of the chromey Aragonits on ebay I've just seen. They work out about £270 cheaper than new by the time they've been refurbed and had new center caps. That's before the time not earning and the diesel to get them to and from Lepsons (other refurbers are available), so in this case, not much in it. Plus, when they are stripped, you don't know what they might find.
Ah at those prices I wouldn’t argue. I paid a lot less than that.

Thanks Chris, they advertise a lot on eBay. They list some with tyres for just under £2200
I think I'll give my dealer ring and turn him upside down to see what his very best offer is.
I want my own tyres, so not interested in "with tyres"; the inners caps always seem to be extra?, not sure why.

I think I'll give my dealer ring and turn him upside down to see what his very best offer is.
I want my own tyres, so not interested in "with tyres"; the inners caps always seem to be extra?, not sure why.
Ask them what deal they would do for 2 sets :whistle::thumbsup:

I had my Devonports powder coated "Modern Anthracite" and sprayed the "spider" - black; 2 1/2 years ago. They suit my Vel, but well I just feel like a change.
Having looked at soooo many aftermarkets; It will have to be VW wheels for me. Its 3 years old this week, and deserves a prezzy ;)

IMG_3632.JPG IMG_3695[1].JPG

I had my Devonports powder coated "Modern Anthracite" and sprayed the "spider" - black; 2 1/2 years ago. They suit my Vel, but well I just feel like a change.
Having looked at soooo many aftermarkets; It will have to be VW wheels for me. Its 3 years old this week, and deserves a prezzy ;)

View attachment 48197 View attachment 48198
Looks good Chris, I have had mine less than 12 months. I have done the B14’s and ARB’s but the 20” alloys were an impulse purchase. They suit my Vel but I only had them on a week, now I am just going down the OEM “ish” route

I've got the dynamic chassis control with a 20mm drop standard, so i have the sport/normal/comfort button to mess about with, and therefore haven't bothered with coil over / stiffer arb.
I always run "all-season" tyres, I could go down the Amarok 19" route with some michelin cross climate suv 235/50/19;

I've got the dynamic chassis control with a 20mm drop standard, so i have the sport/normal/comfort button to mess about with, and therefore haven't bothered with coil over / stiffer arb.
I always run "all-season" tyres, I could go down the Amarok 19" route with some michelin cross climate suv 235/50/19;
How much would a 235/50/19 throw your speedo out

How much would a 235/50/19 throw your speedo out
It's exactly the same as the 235/60/17's I run now; the same rolling radius; it's 3.5% ver geared, so 1mph difference at 30 mph.
In fact the speedo still slightly over reads, by about 1mph.
So in reality it makes no difference.
Imo the 12mm bigger all the way round tyre just look a lot better in terms of filling the arches, with 25mm spacers all round, its looks well "more designed", along with the 20mm drop.

Reactions: Eli
Back