Wheel Wax/protector

micksea

T6 Pro
hi,just ordered some new alloy wheels and was wondering what to use to protect them before fitting them,any recommendations?

Most people use a ceramic protection on their wheels now.
Personally, I used Gtechniq on my wheels after they came back from the powder-coaters and it caused an issue with the finish, turning it almost milky. Only very lightly, but enough to see the difference between ceramic coated and uncoated. I asked the powder guys about this, and they said they'd seen it a couple of times with Black wheels.

From now on, I will only use our own PTFE Paint protection we apply within my business, because this never lets us down, and never causes issues.
Other than that, there are several wheel waxes available on the market, but I've never tried them.

Just bare in mind, that it's only worth applying a protection if you look after your wheels correctly. There's little point using a protection, then blasting them with acids, or letting road side gangs clean them, because it will strip off most protection, not to mention prematurely damage the cheaper end of the wheel selections.

I'm a big GTechniq fan, the wheel armour they do is crap, mine also looked dull, streaky and didn't really do a lot. I managed to polish the coating off and redid my wheels with some cheap Mr Fix ceramic coating, I put a hose to the wheels yesterday and 90% of the brake dust just washed off.

I don't think it will last long, but it was easy to apply and remove and it's dirt cheap - NEW HOT 2018 9H MR FIX - SUPER CERAMIC CAR COATING NEW CHEAP OFFER 709327058656 | eBay

I'm a big GTechniq fan, the wheel armour they do is crap, mine also looked dull, streaky and didn't really do a lot. I managed to polish the coating off and redid my wheels with some cheap Mr Fix ceramic coating, I put a hose to the wheels yesterday and 90% of the brake dust just washed off.

I don't think it will last long, but it was easy to apply and remove and it's dirt cheap - NEW HOT 2018 9H MR FIX - SUPER CERAMIC CAR COATING NEW CHEAP OFFER 709327058656 | eBay

That's actually good to hear, I'm glad I wasn't the only one, and I deal with theses types of products for a living! The problem is we are only governed by what the suppliers tell us, and most of the times they just claim these products work on any surface, which isn't actually true. Hence why we stick with what we know works.
Gtechniq contacted us, after they read what we dealt with, and asked us to test some of these products on Caravans and Motorhomes, but we found they just didn't work like the products we currently use, but it was nice to get sent a load of their stuff for free (even though it is just sat on my garage shelf now)

Last edited:
@Tourershine is the PTFE paint protection you use available to the general public? It can you only get it through trade.

Ours is trade only, but there might be other PTFE sealers available to the public from the usual outlets. Some people will rate Ceramic, some not. We only use and test stuff on Caravan and Motorhome surfaces, and this is a totally different concept to a painted car or van. PTFE has been around for a long time now, and yes there are newer products that have all these wonderful claims, but when somethings not broken, we don't change it.

Ours is trade only, but there might be other PTFE sealers available to the public from the usual outlets. Some people will rate Ceramic, some not. We only use and test stuff on Caravan and Motorhome surfaces, and this is a totally different concept to a painted car or van. PTFE has been around for a long time now, and yes there are newer products that have all these wonderful claims, but when somethings not broken, we don't change it.
Cheers fella time to trawl the internet:)

I've recently signed up on the detailing world forum,although I can"t post on there as I haven"t got an activation email yet despite messaging admin.So I im busy trying to detail my van between work and family commitments and so far im about £350 into "products":rofl: after researching on there im leaning towards fk1000p but of the three detailing suppliers that I have accounts with only one supplies it and they are out of stock.thats why im asking you blokes about alteratives.im trying to stay away from ceramic coatings for the time being as im wary of applying them badly then being unable to remove them fully.

I've recently signed up on the detailing world forum,although I can"t post on there as I haven"t got an activation email yet despite messaging admin.So I im busy trying to detail my van between work and family commitments and so far im about £350 into "products":rofl: after researching on there im leaning towards fk1000p but of the three detailing suppliers that I have accounts with only one supplies it and they are out of stock.thats why im asking you blokes about alteratives.im trying to stay away from ceramic coatings for the time being as im wary of applying them badly then being unable to remove them fully.

Mate, I'm not sure if you've seen any pictures of my T6. It's detailed weekly, and looks pretty good, and I don't have £350 worth of products :eek:
Just be wary of over priced and over marketed products, because there are cheaper alterantives.

I’ve tried loads and at the moment I’m liking carpro hydro2 then topped up with sonax xtreme brilliant shine.
Price wise cheap as chips and really good end product easy application winner all round
Great sheeting and beading :)

You could try a different approach, mine where black & polished chrome, I have plasti dipped my alloys (basically spay on vinyl) this then protects your wheels or paint work, it can be peeled off at any time, you can get in a clear spay to keep your original colour, I thought it was easy to do, I used wet look on the tire wall, so the over spay just peeled of with ease. No wax or elbow grease required.

IMG_7836.jpg

IMG_7838.jpg

IMG_7873.jpg

carpro
Dlux
£30
And a good few hours applying
Well worth the effort of applying and leaving to set for the first 24 hours before fitting wheels.
Follow instructions to a tee and all will be sweet :thumbsup:

:laugh::laugh:
I’ve tried loads and at the moment I’m liking carpro hydro2 then topped up with sonax xtreme brilliant shine.
Price wise cheap as chips and really good end product easy application winner all round
Great sheeting and beading :)
Love that hydro 2
Your be bying a di vessel next !
Tis the future

Ah yes di vessels I have heard rumblings about them, I just use me metro blaster after washing but takes ages to dry the whole van!
Anyways let’s get back on topic about wheel sealants as I feel we’ve hijacked @micksea thread sorry fella.

Tourershine....I've seen your pictures and read about your ocd:) it's a nice van. I jumped straight in and started buying up 5ltr cans of decent shampoo and snow foam,brushes,pump sprayers,drying towels,wax applicators etc.etc.etc. now I need to buy more stuff:D.I'll have a look at the carpro stuff and see what I think to it.

Back