Wheel bearing help

BrianK

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello All

I've had a horrible drone from rear end of my T5.1 (2014) for about 300 / 500 miles, which I believe is steadily getting worse, and sounds to me from inside the van like the nearside rear.

Having had a replacement tyre on the back just before it started and another tyre changed over the to the other side on the rear I thought I had better 'count out' the tyres, so today I have temporarily changed each wheel to the steel spare for a test drive, and it still happened just the same. I have also checked around the pad and disks for anything else and nothing.

I also wiggled and spun the wheels as you do to check for bad bearings, no movement if wiggled holding either 3 and 9 o'clock or 12 and 6 o'clock, however what is interesting is that the rear offside clicks once per revolution if you spin it (clockwise only!), other than this each wheel sounds similar when spun, just a slight grind noise.

Incidentally I have VCDS. Will this find the offending wheel if it is indeed the bearing? And as I'm an amateur with it, if so could someone tell me how to scan for it?

Thanks

I think you’ve done all the right things. I recently put the summer wheels back on and moved rears to the front and vice versa and got terrible drumming. Swapped to original position and it went.

I think if it were a bearing you’d feel play, roughness or noise when spinning. So I think it could still be tyres.

Is there anyone nearby with a pair / set to swap over to try? I have 4 winter wheels / tyres but in Leicester.

VCDS only picks up faults from sensors and I expect only the ABS sensor at the rear hub so doubtful it would detect anything.

See I think tyres play a part in the noise.
I thought I had an issue with nsr. Replaced both ns tyres now I think it’s os.
I’ll replace the tyres as I have checked the bearings for noise etc

Also check for 'saw tooth' tyre wear, also known as 'tyre stepping', as this can cause a droning noise especially from the rear on a van.

Back