What's my Caravelle worth??

redvers

IT Consultant
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Can’t get a bloody valuation anywhere!

We’ve not done as many miles in Clarance as we’d hoped, and it’s a significant financial millstone preventing us from remortgaging. So we’re looking at getting rid, and maybe dipping back in at a later date with a California instead ;)

I’ve been able to get a settlement figure from VWFS with no issue, but I can’t get autotrader or raccars or anywhere to actually provide a valuation, I suspect because the Gen6 is so rare.

Does anyone here know what a reasonable price would be (April 2016, 28k) or how I can get one? Would hate to go to the dealers and get offered something stupidly low that barely covers the finance settlement...

Many members on here can probably give you a good overall price.
Maybe post up a sales post with details, specs and some photos. Even use it as a trial run for your advert.

Is it a standard Gen6 as it left the factory? Miles? Extras?
Like Ed says, a picture or 2 might help with narrowing down a reasonable price.
With more info, you can look at the current market both private and trade, find an equivalent T6, and add a slight premium for the Gen6 side to give you a figure with you are happy as a starting point.

In my experience the T6 is a different animal to sell privately, than a normal car. I purchased a 6 month old BMW with no finance last year, so I owned it. We quickly realised it just sat in the garage because my wife would use her Mini and I always use my van, so decided to free up the money and sell it.
A car of that value was nearly impossible to sell as a private sale, simply because no one has that sort of money to buy a normal car, and the figure last year from memory was 91% of new car sales were through some kind of finance. Moral of the story is, I had to sell back to the dealer who instantly knocked £10k off the price I paid 10 months previously, and from that moment onwards, I will never buy a car that new with my own money again, unless the bottom falls out of the current finance bonanza, which is highly likely.

A T6 seems to be totally different, and they do sell really well as private sales, and they sell for really good money.

Stick it into we buy any van for starters, at least you'll have an idea where to start.

Well the local dealership has said £30k max which is less than what I owe... We Buy Any Van offer £27k which is a definite no-go.

The problem is there aren’t any similar entries on AutoTrader to go off valuation wise.

It’s factory spec (not counting the Monkey :)) and we had the FPS plan so full dealer service history. It’s having a service next week in fact, and is at 28k or just under...

Will see about giving it a wash and getting some pictures together, although it’s in the 2017 T6Forum calendar if you have one of those ;)

£30k sounds a pretty fair price for a trade sale, they've got to make a profit on the resale

Well the local dealership has said £30k max which is less than what I owe... We Buy Any Van offer £27k which is a definite no-go.

The problem is there aren’t any similar entries on AutoTrader to go off valuation wise.

It’s factory spec (not counting the Monkey :)) and we had the FPS plan so full dealer service history. It’s having a service next week in fact, and is at 28k or just under...

Will see about giving it a wash and getting some pictures together, although it’s in the 2017 T6Forum calendar if you have one of those ;)
Have you made sure you are in the van section of Autotrader? It’s separate to the car one. I sold my T5 on there pretty easily and there were quite a few available IIRC. Also Parker’s have a van section I think where you can a valuation. I have been pretty successful selling high value vehicles through Autotrader, including my Cayenne

There’s nothing on the van section that didn’t appear on the search from the app... similar spec / mileage suggests £35k without any Gen6 markup, but £35k listed is always going to end up £33k sale... will see if dealer can up their price a little more!

There’s nothing on the van section that didn’t appear on the search from the app... similar spec / mileage suggests £35k without any Gen6 markup, but £35k listed is always going to end up £33k sale... will see if dealer can up their price a little more!

It doesn't necessarily need to be sold to your dealer. I'd ring round a few and see what's offered.
The Gen6 is not an easy T6 to find used, so someone will know it's worth paying a little more for.

At the end of the day it’s a red and white caravelle so I think the pricing would reflect velle prices ??
I’m not sure on exact specs but I believe it sits a bit below a velle exec (as doesn’t have elec doors etc) but is a lot rarer so I think exec prices would be there or there abouts ?

No-one seems to have a set guide for how much it should be. CAP guide is £34k, WBAV offer 80% of that. We’ve got the dealer up to £31k but they’re not budging higher citing touch up work that needs doing (couple of stone chips, and one of the tyres looks like it came off worst against a pothole).

If there was a clear “you can get a minimum of £35k selling private” with evidence then I’d go that route. The “advertise it and see what offers you get” suggestion is well meaning but ultimately pointless!

I don't see that as pointless.
If you want it gone with no hassle, then let the dealer have it for what they've offered, but if you want more, advertise as a classified on eBay.
Take loads of really nice pictures, do a great write up, whack it on for £35k see what happens. You never know till you try.
The only draw back I can see is it still having outstanding finance, and having to explain to the general public that they need to pay that off over the phone during the sale, and you get the remainder. And I say draw back simply because some private buyers might not understand how that process works.

Go with the dealer mate, it’s done and cash in your bank, it really isn’t worth the hassle, your get nothing but offers wey below what there offering and if you wait too long the dealer could always lower there offer....

And like @Tourershine said outstanding finance puts so many people off, I had the same trouble selling my Range Rover sport,

I had this exact problem with a 12 month old A6 avant 272 Black Edition. Had bought it on PCP, decided I wanted a van, dealer offered a crazy price, only marginally better than we buy any car. However, as said above no-one buys such new vehicles without some form of finance deal so the dealers know they have you over a barrel.
You might get lucky selling it private, but maybe not, by which time the dealer will have knocked another 2k off their original offer as a month has passed.
We went for the “bend over and let the dealer do their worst” approach. We knew we’d lose money, but a grand for being out of the never ending cycle of PCP’s was a price we were willing to pay.
At least we now know we own our van.

So when I originally posted we were wondering if it was worth selling I.e. looking at the finances and wondering if there was equity in the vehicle, and if so how much.

If you haven’t totally made up your mind to sell (because you don’t know what you’ll get), being told to stick an advert on AutoTrader or eBay is pointless. If I was in the position of “I want to sell, what is my best option” then I can understand that. But the lack of genuine valuation data makes it difficult to look at what it’s worth compared to what is owed...

In the end the Mrs made the decision and it went to the dealer for £31k. There was £1600 left over after paying off the settlement, so about three rentals.

Now to wait a month and see if we can sort the mortgage out!

A fair price given considering the dealers asking price I think.
Glad you're now sorted, good luck. :thumbsup:

And the dealer has it up for sale at just shy of £40k

Volkswagen Caravelle 2.0 TDI BlueMotion Tech Generation Six Bus DSG 5dr for Sale | Midlands | Parkway Volkswagen

So that’s a £2k uplift on the £31k+VAT. And before anyone says they’re servicing it and preparing it for sale, there was a pre paid service plan, and the only thing that needed doing was replacing one tyre!

Hey ho...
So did they pay you a flat £31k or was it £31 + vat?
I’ve always wondered if the dealers pay the Vat when they buy in, or just slap it on when they want to sell.

Back