What is this oil covered thing under the van

sipep

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all,

Just taken delivery of my van from VW approved used.

Just giving it a look over. Wish I knew more about motors.

Anyone able to tell me what this part is ? Seems to have wet oil on it. Can only delivered today.PXL_20230804_144115177.jpg

Hi all,

Just taken delivery of my van from VW approved used.

Just giving it a look over. Wish I knew more about motors.

Anyone able to tell me what this part is ? Seems to have wet oil on it. Can only delivered today.

That's your oil filter housing. It probably got oil on it at the last service. If it's not dripping it's nothing to worry about, but I'd just check that it's more than hand tight while you're there.

Last edited:
The little nut in the middle is the filter housing drain plug and the big nut (34mm I think) tightens the filter housing to the engine. Check them both, but don’t overnighten them as they are plastic. I think they are like 25nm for the housing and 30 nm for the drain plug so not too much force needed to ruin them.

I've got 6 months warranty with VW, I've booked it in for a check on Tuesday, as I've attached my carista odb reader and it's showing a fault on electrical, unfortunately, I can't see the fault without paying for pro version, gutted as the carista is brand new and assumed I would have 30 day free trial

I wouldn't tighten anything yet. Just get some kitchen towel and give it a good clean then some more with soapy water then check it again after 24 hours or after a run.
If it's loose enough that I can tighten it with my hand, it's too loose, IMO.

Back