What is the preferred coolant?

StormUk

VIP Member
T6 Pro
my van was in for cambelt and waterpump change at the main dealer last week. I've since noticed the coolant level is on minimum (assuming a bit of air in the system when they filled up), do VW have a preferred coolant to use or can I put in any ready mixed stuff from my local autoparts shop? Thanks

Definitely use the correct graded VW stuff - the spec required is in the manual.

Pete

Definitely use the correct graded VW stuff - the spec required is in the manual.

Pete
Yeah thanks @Pete C I've just found it in the book. It specifies G13 which is purple but I believe the VW dealer has used G12 (as its pink), will this matter at all?

Yeah thanks @Pete C I've just found it in the book. It specifies G13 which is purple but I believe the VW dealer has used G12 (as its pink), will this matter at all?
My thoughts are to pull them up on it and get it logged or changed. If you had used the wrong coolant they would be the first to deny liability in a warranty claim.

My thoughts are to pull them up on it and get it logged or changed. If you had used the wrong coolant they would be the first to deny liability in a warranty claim.
Well I would normally do that however when I went and checked my expansion tank it had G12 clearly stated on it. When I spoke with VW the guy said 'in my 15years here we have only ever put G12 in and have never had any vehicle in, new or old with any different'. So the book contradicts what the vehicle states so who the hell knows. But as long as I don't mix G12, G12++, G13 I think I should be ok

Guys I’ve had EXACTLY the same situation down here in Australia, after 3rd service the 2019 T6 Transporter (fitted out as very expensive Campervan) came back,with pink/red coloured Coolant. The Manual says engine damage will result unless you use G13 or G12++ both of which are purple.
I agree that any warranty issues will be sidestepped by VW and I’m not prepared to accept the word of a mechanic who has zero accountability if damage results. The Manual ( Edition 11.2017 Stand 31.08.2017 English 11.2017 Teile-Nr .:7E0012720BE) could not be clearer p. 240-241 “serious malfunctions or engine damage” could result.

The Coolant Expansion Tank is stamped G12 o o .

I’ve written to the supplier of the vehicle to seek clarification.

SUPPLEMENTARY QUESTION: Is it possible for the servicing dealership to have checked the spare tyre pressure without lowering the wheel? The valve is on the side of the wheel which is pressed up against the bodywork, but they claim they have checked the pressure. I know they didn’t lower the tyre / spare wheel at all, because I fitted a tell tale because I don’t trust them and it was not disturbed. So do VW have a nifty tool which enables them to check the spare wheel’s pressure without lowering the spare?

Guys I’ve had EXACTLY the same situation down here in Australia, after 3rd service the 2019 T6 Transporter (fitted out as very expensive Campervan) came back,with pink/red coloured Coolant. The Manual says engine damage will result unless you use G13 or G12++ both of which are purple.
I agree that any warranty issues will be sidestepped by VW and I’m not prepared to accept the word of a mechanic who has zero accountability if damage results. The Manual ( Edition 11.2017 Stand 31.08.2017 English 11.2017 Teile-Nr .:7E0012720BE) could not be clearer p. 240-241 “serious malfunctions or engine damage” could result.

The Coolant Expansion Tank is stamped G12 o o .

I’ve written to the supplier of the vehicle to seek clarification.

SUPPLEMENTARY QUESTION: Is it possible for the servicing dealership to have checked the spare tyre pressure without lowering the wheel? The valve is on the side of the wheel which is pressed up against the bodywork, but they claim they have checked the pressure. I know they didn’t lower the tyre / spare wheel at all, because I fitted a tell tale because I don’t trust them and it was not disturbed. So do VW have a nifty tool which enables them to check the spare wheel’s pressure without lowering the spare?

Hey mate, I'm in the same boat: have to refill coolant in my new T6.1, colour is definitely pink, book says it should be purple. Did you get a reply from your supplier?

Hey mate, I'm in the same boat: have to refill coolant in my new T6.1, colour is definitely pink, book says it should be purple. Did you get a reply from your supplier?
If you need the purple specification, GSF sells it. Link also to Comma where they state compliance with 'Volkswagen (vehicles built as from 09/2008, TL 774-G).' This is noted in my T6 book, 11.2017 edition.

Back