Oil Catch Can For Euro 6 Engines

RattyMcClelland

Chipsaway - South Nottingham
T6 Legend
Has only found an off the shelf catch can or made one for the Euro 6?

Being direct injection the crap from the blow by/pcv is going to stick to the intake side of everything since there no port injection to clean it.

I have a catch can on my car and it works perfectly to keep the intake and supercharger clean.

Might have to make one of I can't find one.

Guess you mean for TSI? The engine is the same as in the golf so any off the shelf one should be good

Guess you mean for TSI? The engine is the same as in the golf so any off the shelf one should be good

No. Euro 6 ea288 tdi engine. They are direct injection and as a result will come with the long term effects of crap build up on these intake valves etc.

Is there a outlet allowing you to attach a catch tank or would you have to add this too?

They've never made a diesel that is port injection, it wouldn't work. Petrol yes. All you need to do is get a remap that turns off the egr, this is what causes the mess, but then you would also have to remove the dpf otherwise it will burn out. Think of all the extra mpgs you'll get without all those silly regens and extra power and driveability and no more adpiss. Now I'll go hide before the mot do gooders turn up ....

They've never made a diesel that is port injection, it wouldn't work. Petrol yes. All you need to do is get a remap that turns off the egr, this is what causes the mess, but then you would also have to remove the dpf otherwise it will burn out. Think of all the extra mpgs you'll get without all those silly regens and extra power and driveability and no more adpiss. Now I'll go hide before the mot do gooders turn up ....

Why would the DPF burn out? It's designed to take the increased temperature during active regenerations.

I think you're confused.
The Euro 5 engine were common rail injection. That's port injection where the diesel is injected before the intake valves. Cleaning crap as the fuel passes over the valves.
The Euro 6 are direct injection with the injector in the cylinder chamber.

A catch can goes inline between the pcv positive crank ventilation outlet and the air intake/ internet manifold inlet. Petrol diesel doesn't matter pcv is the same principle. Dirty blow by gas from the piston rings goes into the head from positive pressure and passes through the pcv valve and is recirculated back into air intake.
The crap covers everything. The catch can would catch the crap letting clean air recirculate.

Egr doesn't need touching.

I think you're confused.
The Euro 5 engine were common rail injection. That's port injection where the diesel is injected before the intake valves. Cleaning crap as the fuel passes over the valves.
The Euro 6 are direct injection with the injector in the cylinder chamber.

Euro 6 is the same as the Euro 5, common rail, direct injection. It's only stuff like the old 1.9 umwelt (and earlier) that was indirect injection, and that was injection into a pre chamber. Because diesels have their compression ignition timed by the fuel pump, they don't work if they inject into an inlet manifold.

Think you need to do some research bud. Nothing wrong with letting the engine breath oil vapour, it's the egr that clogs the inlet. Without egr the dpf would soot up so fast it couldn't regen quick enough and go into limp mode. I didn't mean burn out that was wrong. Google egr blocked. You are correct when it comes to direct injection petrol engines clogging up inlet valves, it's a massive problem. They also have egr which accentuates the problem

Last edited:
Well there is. The oil vapour sticks to everything. Filtered and baffled catch can will only allow clean air back in and just empty the catch can every few thousand miles.
In my prelude I have a mishimoto catch can off the valve cover. It catches 40mm of oil and vapor every 1k miles. That 40mm works end up coating my intake and supercharger rotors.
I figure the same principle would apply to diesels which have more blow by.
The high and low pressure egr on our vans have catch areas that supposedly get burnt during a Regen.

The info is from a close friend that has his own well respected tuning company and has remapped thousands of modern diesels.

You technical guys lose me but the one thing I know is every time they change from Euro 4-5-6 etc the engines seem to get worse and seem strangled some how

The info is from a close friend that has his own well respected tuning company and has remapped thousands of modern diesels.

Well you have probably misheard or misunderstood him. What equipment does your friend's business use to measure diesel exhaust content when building his calibrations?

You technical guys lose me but the one thing I know is every time they change from Euro 4-5-6 etc the engines seem to get worse and seem strangled some how

In most cases it's actually the opposite. The company I worked for was a part of the European Engine Alliance in the 90s and introduced common rail fuel systems for Euro 3 engines. These didn't need anything in the exhaust system to meet Euro 3, however injection timing was retarded slightly to pass the emissions. For Euro 4, SCR was introduced to the exhaust system which meant the engine could run with advanced injection timing (the engine was dirtier but the after-treatment cleaned it up) and therefore more powerful and efficient. As the Euro revisions increases, you end up doing more to change the content of the exhaust after it has left the engine, but in doing so can get more torque and power out of the engine.

The company I worked for left it as late as possible before it had to fit an EGR system for European models.

It's from his experience with euro 6 150 motors, mapped loads of them. I'll ask for more details. I know that egr valves are the work of the devil

Back