Best Choices For Reliability

rich11235

Hi, new member, looking to buy a California. I wanted to ask: what are members experiences with reliability: EA189 vs EA288 engine?
Manual vs DSG?
The DSG is 7 speed am I right? Is it the dry clutch one (which I believe is reputed to be unreliable) or the wet clutch version?

All advice gratefully received - thanks in advance!

PS apologies if this question has already been asked before - I did a quick browse and didn't find anything

As I understand the EA288 is the newer version ( but I’m no expert on Engines) but I do drive a DSG Kombi 204 ps and I’d take it all day long over a manual ......
More time enjoying the journey to worry about gears:thumbsup:

ps 7 gears is right :thumbsdown::thumbsup: But I’m sure someone’s got the answer regarding wet or dry clutch

Thanks Van Dam Man
Anyone else got any experiences to share? Also what are the main maintenance "big hitters" to look for in the service history - e.g. which engines need timing belts, water pumps, etc. etc.

Dsg needs a service every 40k and cambelt and pump every 4 years i believe

I
Thanks Van Dam Man
Anyone else got any experiences to share? Also what are the main maintenance "big hitters" to look for in the service history - e.g. which engines need timing belts, water pumps, etc. etc.
I guess the big question is ..are you buying new or an older vehicle...regarding maintenance different engines have slightly different schedules from reading what’s on the forum but it may be an idea to (@Dellmassive or @BognorMotors )give these guys a shout, but l would imaging you’d need to narrow the field down ....engine size, version type and age to get a better answer
Mine was 4 months old when I got it and it was put on an extended service schedule...oil change at two years but I like to do it every 12 months along with air/ pollen filters and the rest as required
Buying from a reputable source can really help......hope you get your answers ....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks VDM, it’s definitely going to be a used vehicle, may even go back to a T5.1. Hence interested in people’s experience with older vehicles after a few years rather than relatively new ones after a few months
Thanks for your tips
I also found some good info on Honest John. Seems like the 180/204PS BiTDI is implicated in a lot of EGR cooler failures leading to major engine block damage, probably not worth touching unless I know the EGR cooler has been changed in good time (I think there was a recall)
It wasn’t clear if other engines were implicated in the EGR cooler problem.
7speed DSGs on earlier vehicles I think had a recall to change the oil from synthetic to mineral to stop a major failure
That seemed to be the main worry beads

204 does not suffer the same egr issues as the 180

Not all 180’s are affected by the EGR corrosion causing engine wear. I have a late build (2016) 180 and no issues.
I spent days trying to find information on the modifications and when they took place. Out of desperation I even asked VW dealers and customer services who denied there were ever any issues with 180 EGR’s......momentary lapse of judgement on my parto_O

The EGR cooler susceptible to failure was replaced with an upgraded one in 2015 (I've seen a NOV-2015 van with the upgraded EGR cooler (rev "D"), however a JUNE-2015 still with an older version). VW can pinpoint the changeover more precisely.
EDIT: Build dates.

Back