What Finish On Bamboo Ply

Neilson

Precision Engineer
VIP Member
T6 Pro
My furniture kit from Evo has the Bamboo ply work tops. Just wondering if anyone that has it has applied a sealer or varnish?

I was originally going to flood coat it with apoxy resin but I think this will scratch easily. So I'm thinking of an oil or sealer. I don't really want to darken it too much any ideas?

I did a test run using the chopping board. Had it laquered by my local spray shop. Looks a great finish. Planning on getting all sides of the work tops and table done to avoid moisture being absorbed and the wood swelling. Here's laquered and non laquered shots showing the difference.

20180622_124349.jpg

20180622_124334.jpg

Vans still a work in progress, but after the chopping board experiment above, here's what the Evo Designs bamboo work top and table looks like lacquered. It's a touch lighter than the it appears in the photograph.

20180924_123733.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I've used the Osmo oil but it doesn't appear to be water tight. I gave it two coats and admittedly left something wet on it for a couple of hours but the brain has swelled up ever so slightly. Any ideas?

What oil have you use in the osmo range?.

Last edited:
Really like that colour combination, very fresh and classy :thumbsup:

Thanks @andys. Very kind of you.:thumbsup: It's very subjective with respect to what folks preferences and styles are, but for this old Donkey, the theme was/is to get some warmth and rustic character into the stable. Although the finger was hovering over the 'Confirm order' button on the Evo web page for quite sometime, wondering if I was doing the right thing with the T1/T2, country kitchen look, in a modern T6:sick:.

Still some trim work to do, hopefully using some left over leather off cuts from the seats, but other than it being a mare to keep it free of marks and looking 'fresh', I'm pleased I went with my gut instinct, rather than play it safe with the silver van, so grey units it is.....route. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It just wasn't where I wanted to go with it:geek:.

Not quite going as far as fitting it out with a valve operated wireless. However, on the hunt for some proper Smiths magnolia Mini clock and voltmeter gauges, in the hope of making a wee feature control panel to fill the space under the cabin heater controls. If anyone knows of any up for grabs.;)

I did a test run using the chopping board. Had it laquered by my local spray shop. Looks a great finish. Planning on getting all sides of the work tops and table done to avoid moisture being absorbed and the wood swelling.
How is your lacquered bamboo holding up a year later?

It was sprayed at a vehicle spray shop. I'm sure the guy that did it told me it was a laquer suitable for bumpers and the like. This means it has a degree of flexibility in the event the wood expands or contracts.

Back