What are you drinking tonight?

@CAB my grandad, god rest his soul, used to drink Stout. Mackesons I think it was. Didn’t even know it was still available.

@CAB my grandad, god rest his soul, used to drink Stout. Mackesons I think it was. Didn’t even know it was still available.
I remember that! not like Guinness though. That is Guinness good for you I can not remember the one for Mackesons

Anyway must be social with tothers back later on.

If it is any comfort I miss my Grandad, we were very close and even though it was a long time ago, it seems just like yesterday and I think about them frequently.
Very true, they never leave you. Sad but left with memories that influence me daily. :)

Always been a fan of decent stouts and porters, not too many around compared to IPAs but they are there if you look hard enough :laugh:

Occasional Mackesons in a bottle when I was much younger, usually in dodgy pubs with no real beer and no Guinness :eek:

Always been a fan of decent stouts and porters, not too many around compared to IPAs but they are there if you look hard enough :laugh:

Occasional Mackesons in a bottle when I was much younger, usually in dodgy pubs with no real beer and no Guinness :eek:
I Enjoy drinking Guinness if it is from a pub that has a big turn over. What I have found over the years is that most pubs that do not sell it frequently do not clean the pipes and it tastes very bitter and the foam dies to quickly. It then loses its creaminess which is so distinctive. It many a year since I have been over the water on holiday but it always tasted best in Ireland. They probably have all sorts of other stuff these days but back then I think it was only Guiness and perhaps one other in the occasional place, Murphys I think. I never tried it. Did drink plenty of whiskey though.

Reactions: CAB
Things you never hear in a pub anymore...
"A pint of black and tan please boss."
I have drunk Black and Tan. Well each region probably has its own version but I took it for Guinness over Bitter. Some areas mixed the Guinness with Mild or Brown even.. Black velvet being Guinness and Champaign. I never tried that, a bit posh for my liking.:laugh:

Had all variations of those. Including the black velvet. Actually quite good. Try with any good sparkling wine.
I wasn't a fan of mild but I might try to revisit that if I can find any!

Had all variations of those. Including the black velvet. Actually quite good. Try with any good sparkling wine.
I wasn't a fan of mild but I might try to revisit that if I can find any!
Loathed mild, a bit insipid nearly a s bad as fizzy larger and Double Diamond works wonders.:D

As I remember it too... But tastes change. Like porter now, didn't then...

As I remember it too... But tastes change. Like porter now, didn't then...
A lot has changed. Most pubs now seam to be mainly eating houses that just happen to sell bear. They pack them in, stuff them, then pack the next lot in, with was that all right sir as if anyone in this country would say other wise. I do like to eat occasionally but some of the old country pubs have gone. I liked the social aspect, mixed ages, a few at that table a couple at the other. Boys and men playing pool or darts, laughter. People acknowledging each other. "What yours, I will get that one". I do not understand the mentality of getting deliberately paralytic. Probably 20 years ago, I was in Shenfield on a course and went for a walk down town in the early evening. It was an absolute shock for me. All the Pubs where heaving with youngsters all absolutely pissed out of there tinny minds, falling over in the street. The girls hardly had a stitch on. It was like a drunken fashion parrade, waddling about on stilts. Some boys were squaring up to each other. It was still day light? What is all that about. What is wrong with a couple or three pints, a chat, a game and go home?

"half and half"

Bitter and mild, usually in a Holts or Hydes Manchester pub.

Love a good mild, never saw one down south but lots when I moved up north. Took a while to appreciate them though.

I remember a time when mild was popularish but It died out almost completely. I believe it may have come back. Not for me. My dad drank it when He was young as did many young men at that time probably the 40s. My main preferences are draught conditioned ales. They almost died out because the big breweries bought out some many smaller breweries and stated selling gassy, bland pasteurised rubbish. Choice was becoming difficult to find. Then there was a small revival brought to focus by the Campaign for Real Ale, CAMRA Home - CAMRA - Campaign for Real Ale and then things improved slowly at first and then it took off and things became very much better.

Reactions: CAB
Back