Equipment - must have / useful / can't do without items

RobGC

Just purchased my newly converted T6 and working through the process to get hold of all the necessary kit - pots and pans, bedding, fire extinguisher, etc, etc. Is there a definitive list out there of the essentials and nice to haves?

Also, on bedding, we have an elevating roof with built in mattress. Is it possible to get a fitted mattress protector for it (ideally water resistant to cope with occasional kids' night-time accidents) and regular sheets? And same for a fairly standard rock and roll bed?

many thanks

Same question as above:
We are just about in the process of kitting our our camper with cooking accessories and general kit for weekends/weeks away.
We’ve have been looking at all sorts of stuff including the Ridgemonkey and collapsible kettles/bowls etc

what’s your favourite item you have in the van? And any recommendations for kit to have?

what’s your favourite item you have in the van? And any recommendations for kit to have?
Hi We’ve got a Cadac......but we’ve also got a thetford Grill....twin burner and grill for toast it’s totally Mobil

DB2C8304-B7F5-4C5C-B5AA-AA4DF59C3C0A.jpeg

microwave...pretty much my go to item for anything from a cup of water to a pastie!...also nice to know its powers from the leisure battery which is charged from the sun, so zero cost :)

Hardly use the hob or kettle anymore unless im making tea for many people.

Cadac use ours every night were away
Yep Cadac are great. We have the pizza stone and use that a lot. Lots of additions available so quite versatile for different food groups.

We have thw Ridgemonkey and highly recommend. (perfect for a fry up in the morning but overall really versatile)

corkscrew, ridgemonkey, tea bags and kettle.
sorted.
You can get bottle tops off with a nearby wall or someones table!!!!! :-D
;)

Buy an extra lid and you effectively have two pans with lids and an oven. Cooks pizza (small), roasts and anything that goes in a pan.
The diffuser which is meant for a gas flame is crap, get a piece of stainless steel gauze if you use gas. We use a Wallas XC Duo which has good temperature control and doesn‘t need a diffuser.
Detachable handles, lightweight and very easy to clean. We cooked every day, twice a day on our last 6 week trip.

Favourite, favourite thing is our Sebastian Conran / John Lewis stainless Steel insulated mugs. Had them years, no idea if they still do them.

Perfect size, good fit in the hand, and keep hot drinks warm forever.

Plastic / melamine just isn't the same, and porcelain or earthenware loses heat too quickly outside. These are great to drink from.

In fact, there's only one thing better than a good cup of tea.

And that's a second cup!

I’ve just got an aero press coffee maker for the van, seems to make a nice cup of coffee.

Anybody got a good collapsible kettle? All the ones I’ve seen have bad reviews as they apparently split quickly.

I’ve been looking at these, anyone on here got one?

There’s at least one more thread covering this subject.

The double skillet is actually a better oven than the Omnia too, bottom pan empty and food in the top one. Cooks pizza, muffins, meat just as well as the omnia without the hole in the middle. Doesn't burn the bottom of the food as much as the Omnia either, which I probably won't use again now. I've only got limited room, so the double skillet has replaced both the Omnia and the large Ridgemonkey. Still use the small Ridgemonkey though, and take a Collaps silicone pan as that takes up no room.

Cadac bbq (we use safari chef 2), does everything we need. One of the best things we purchased.

Back