What’s this dangly bit?

Bobblob

Hi all.
Here's a brain teaser.
Had my van for 2 weeks now and just noticed a wiring 'Plug' dangling down just in front of the OSR wheel area. No warning lights or apparent faults but no obvious place to plug in. This cable/connector isn't replicated on the nearside so can only assume it's preparation for an accessory such as a towbar perhaps? Vehicle is used so perhaps the VW main agent or previous owner removed something before resale? It has me baffled. I would very grateful if anyone would offer any details?IMG-20201212-WA0002.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Paul.

Without checking for 4 pin plugs, I would check the brake pad sensor (prob 2 pin) or wheel speed sensor.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.
I've only looked at the areas visible from squeezing under the van. I'll find somewhere level and quiet tomorrow and take the wheel off to get a full view. Hadn't done that yet as my driveway is sloped and I'm on a busy main road.
I will update with my findings, everyone likes a Chrismas mystery
Thanks again.
TBC

UPDATE: Well, looks like this is going to stretch on longer than Brexit. Still no nearer so I've taped a small bag over the plug and tucked it up out of harms way. I'll be getting the van serviced in a couple of weeks so it'll have to wait.:mad:

UPDATE: Well, looks like this is going to stretch on longer than Brexit. Still no nearer so I've taped a small bag over the plug and tucked it up out of harms way. I'll be getting the van serviced in a couple of weeks so it'll have to wait.:mad:
Is it possible that your van had rear parking sensors, it’s been in a bump and a standard bumper fitted?

Looks like rear level sensor plug to me, the LED headlights will always do the down up thing when you turn the ignition on even with sensors unplugged they just won’t level as the van moves
I wouldn’t panic too much just get the garage to reconnect it

If I were you I would consider ordering a Carista unit so you can scan for faults and confirm what’s going on(£15ish)

Reactions: Loz
Looks like rear level sensor plug to me, the LED headlights will always do the down up thing when you turn the ignition on even with sensors unplugged they just won’t level as the van moves

If I were you I would consider ordering a Carista unit so you can scan for faults and confirm what’s going on(£15ish)
I agree. I will go out have a look under my van is its not pishing down again.

Is it possible that your van had rear parking sensors, it’s been in a bump and a standard bumper fitted?
The rear bumper has has had rear sensors from new. Basically there are 2 convoluted protective tubes. One goes to the brake/wheel hub area and the other has this plug on it.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I have a basic OBD reader so I'll plug that in and see if that's any help first.

Just been looking online at images of t6 headlight levelling sensors. There's nothing like one within reach or otherwise of the loose plug. Maybe its been removed? Too late after purchase now (3 weeks) to bring it up with the VW dealership. I'll run it on some undulating country lanes and see if the self levelling works.
Thanks for every ones input again

Just been looking online at images of t6 headlight levelling sensors. There's nothing like one within reach or otherwise of the loose plug. Maybe its been removed? Too late after purchase now (3 weeks) to bring it up with the VW dealership. I'll run it on some undulating country lanes and see if the self levelling works.
Thanks for every ones input again
I wouldn’t say 3 weeks is too long, just go back and insist it's replaced.
you won’t see any affect whilst driving, it only sets the level when the ignition is turned on to compensate for any load you have put in that might have lowered the back etc.

Back