Water softener.

nigeltreves

Roofer
VIP Member
T6 Pro
when washing your vans, does anyone use a water softener attachment to the hose to stop scale marks if/when water dries?

when washing your vans, does anyone use a water softener attachment to the hose to stop scale marks if/when water dries?
no expert..moved up north.. ( soft water ) but used to have a salt softener for the house .no good for washing vans ..but give @Tourershine a shout ( cleans and shines things for a living ):thumbsup:

give @Tourershine a shout ( cleans and shines things for a living ):thumbsup:

Caravans and Motorhomes which are White, so no the need for this kind of trickery.
I'm sure there are a couple of members on here that have had water purifying systems installed into their garages and a few window cleaners that also have this set up, but these are pretty extreme set-ups. I cannot recall exactly who it was, but you might find the thread on a search.

On a personal note @nigeltreves as a fellow Black T6 owner, who washes his van now and again:rolleyes: I can only tell you the obvious stuff when it comes to washing a dark vehicle, and i'd never wash mine in the sun anyway. The main issue we have is the paint heats up so quickly, that unless you are super fast and do a side at a time, water marks are just part of dark paint ownership if washed in the sun. My driveway is pretty big and there is a section on mine that's shaded until around 10am, and that's where I will always wash mine off in the summer.

If you do find a gadget that does combat this issue, i'd be interested in knowing what it is and if it works in the real world.

After reading a few posts on here (cheers @N58amx and @Yzfr1), I bought a deionisation vessel from Vyair.

All in I think I paid something like £150 - for that they delivered me a 25l vessel that was pre-filled with resin, the vessel having ¾ BSP fittings and male hozelock adapters.

Now when I wash the van, I rinse it with tap water, and then attach the DI vessel for the final rinse - and that’s it, no drying required. The water beads off and leaves no staining.

It’s a lot of money to lay out - no where near as much as an equivalent system from the likes of Aqua Gleam - but its return is in effort and time saved. I wish I’d bought one years ago.

@Ads_Essex
That looks like that could be the answer to my problems. Have you any idea roughly how often you would need to replace the resin. A guess would be good.
Thanks for everyones advice and input.

Have you any idea roughly how often you would need to replace the resin?

@nigeltreves this is what @N58amx said about his:
I went for a 25l version from Vyair,
No regrets whatsoever.
Takes a full 25l of resin
4 vehicles fully rinsed every week, and managed to get 10 months out of the resin before changing
(in Kent our water is ridiculousy hard)
I believe the taller thinner vessels are more suited on making the resin last longer
after reading tons of threads over on Detailing World

I bought a di vessel from daqua.
I've used it for the last 3 years and the media is still working its magic.....0ppm still registering
Final rinse with it and no water spots when left in the sun in winter months.
Be careful in the summer though.....dreaded pollen lands on water droplets ans dries out leaving pollen stains....but no hard calcium spots though.
I am in Aberdeenshire though and our water is very sot to start with..........show a drop of soap to water and it foams up loads.

Also, a great water spot remover is FSE by Koch Chemie, it's a detailer spray with limescale remover in it. Highly recommend it!

Back