Wading with a snorkel

Shaun Witts

Ski Bus
VIP Member
T6 Guru
While at a camp site in the North Lakes there was a smart looking white Swamper also staying there (T66 WMP if it’s anyone on here?) with a snorkel.

This got me thinking - surely to be able to fully utilise a snorkel, should the occasion arise, presumably any other equipment fitted to the van must also be adapted to allow submersion. I’m thinking about the Webasto heater under my van or the VB air suspension.

In some cases, I suppose that the snorkel might be just for show, but for any that do take their van into the wilderness, does other equipment get the snorkel treatment as well?

Just idle wondering…

my diesel heater is fitted under the drivers seat for the reasons you say, to keep it dry.
You really need a breather kit fitted for the axles and gearbox etc to tkeep water from being sucked in.
we are building our van to tour the inlands of Iceland, where you have to ford rivers etc, will be fitting a front engine bash plate to help fend off any rocks under the water.
I certainly wouldn’t go much deeper than the cills or the van will float.
We do get flooding in the uk so a snorkel may come in handy..maybe..

my diesel heater is fitted under the drivers seat for the reasons you say, to keep it dry.
You really need a breather kit fitted for the axles and gearbox etc to tkeep water from being sucked in.
we are building our van to tour the inlands of Iceland, where you have to ford rivers etc, will be fitting a front engine bash plate to help fend off any rocks under the water.
I certainly wouldn’t go much deeper than the cills or the van will float.
We do get flooding in the uk so a snorkel may come in handy..maybe..
Thanks.
I have driven through flooded roads myself, probably at about the sill level, even with the VB suspension set to off-road for extra height. Thankfully no damage as it never occurred to me at the time re. the Webasto heater under the van. The front number plate was washed off though.

Back