Vw T5.1 - Kenwood Dmx7017

IestynD

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help. I have a T5.1 and its brilliant, when i got it i removed the existing stereo and fitted a Kenwood DMX7017. Its brilliant, its got apple car play so Waze, Google maps, pod casts, spottify, etc etc.
The unit i replaced was a RNS510 i think (Garmin sat nav). The van has built in VW bluetooth.

My phone is paired to the built in bluetooth, i can make calls, the people on the end of the phone can hear me brilliantly , through the built in VW microphone (assume in the light cluster). I can't hear them, at all! Extensive testing, much to the anoyance of wife.
So question 1: Is it possible to get the audio (inc bluetooth streeming) through the car speakers when using the factory VW bluetooth unit?

Question 2: The original RNS510 (which i suspect was actually not original factory).... had a external microphone. I kept this one and didnt replace it with the new one that was supplied with the DMX(new) stereo. I just plugged it in as the wire was ran quite nicely to the back of the unit so that was one less job! People tell me the sound quality is unbearable..., i have to pull over and take them off handsfree!
If i can't get the VW bluetooth working, I could try and replace the old external microphone.
I'd like to order a replacement - Does anyone know if that connection is 3.5mm or 2.5mm? That is the microphone jack conncetion on the back of the DMX7017DAB stereo - I am trying to avoid taking it out to find out - i have searhed the web but to no avail, the user manual does not state the connection size, just that its for the external microphone!

Question 3: If i fit a new external microphone, does anyone have a recomendation for one?

I love the van.... got some questions about lowering it but not for this thread.

Thanks all

Back