Vortex Exhaust System

CX16

T6 Pro
hi
Was worried about my fuel consumption on my T6(T32)4x4, so I had a Vortex exhaust fitted yesterday. Really nice guys and very knowledgeable. Also had the short exhaust fitted which is higher up and better shaped for protection. I was a little sceptical about how much difference it would make, especially around the MPG figures that were very poor. Well, first impressions are that it drives a little smooth so that you can change up earlier, and it lets you hold the high gears a bit longer and still pull away evenly. The biggest surprise was the fuel consumption. On the way to Grays it was 115 miles for the first quarter of a tank on the gauge - on the way back it was 119 miles for the first eighth of a tank on the gauge, in fact for the entire journey back, over 144 miles It never reach the three quarter mark on the gauge, so one very happy camper who’s not quite so nervous about looking at the fuel gauge ! ! !
Ian

[QUOTE="CX16, post: 108297, member: 5584" On the way to Grays it was 115 miles for the first quarter of a tank on the gauge - on the way back it was 119 miles for the first eighth of a tank on the gauge, in fact for the entire journey back, over 144 miles It never reach the three quarter mark on the gauge, so one very happy camper who’s not quite so nervous about looking at the fuel gauge ! ! !
Ian[/QUOTE]

hardly proof, need to measure correctly before i ca believe theres any gains

Looks a nice bit of kit, which engine are you running? And what’s the cost of a system?

The website makes a lot of big claims but I can’t find much hard information of how the design achieves such amazing results.

Hmmm .... gonna be blunt ... it's a Forum

You buy a T6 T32 4Motion and worried about a couple of quid on fuel ?? .... and then drop a shed load more cash on a swanky exhaust system that you were "a little sceptical about how much difference it would make" anyway, in the hope of solving the 'problem' ?!?!

Kind of doesn't all hang together if you know what I mean

I have brought this item to the attention of the forum as I thought people might be interested. I also run a T5 that has now done 100k so I have a good idea of what the fuel consumption looks like. I was prepared for an increase in the fuel consumption with the T6 as it’s pushing a lot more mechanical parts, but I was quite surprised at just how bad the fuel consumption of the T6 4x4 was. I wish I had done a lot more scientific testing of the T6 before changing the exhaust, but I didn’t, all I can tell you is that having experienced a couple of hundred miles with the new exhaust fitted the T6 is now much closer to the T5. For me that will do. I will try to post a photo if I can work out how. . .

I have brought this item to the attention of the forum as I thought people might be interested. I also run a T5 that has now done 100k so I have a good idea of what the fuel consumption looks like. I was prepared for an increase in the fuel consumption with the T6 as it’s pushing a lot more mechanical parts, but I was quite surprised at just how bad the fuel consumption of the T6 4x4 was. I wish I had done a lot more scientific testing of the T6 before changing the exhaust, but I didn’t, all I can tell you is that having experienced a couple of hundred miles with the new exhaust fitted the T6 is now much closer to the T5. For me that will do. I will try to post a photo if I can work out how. . .
Interested.
To insert pictures: for example use "Upload a File" button...

Inserting pictures in your post

Last edited by a moderator:
If no one puts themselves out on a whim to try new things we'd never develop our vans so it's good that you've tried this new system and wanted to inform the forum.
Personally I think a few more miles need to be driven, maybe a full tank or two.
Your journey to fitters could simply be uphill overall and downhill on the way back.
I did see them using this technology on wheeler dealers or car SOS but never paid attention.

I first saw this on Wheeler Dealers and thought it looked a good idea. The journey was both ways around the top of the M25 and down the M3, nearly 150 miles in all, using cruise where possible to keep my right foot out of it, but I agree that it needs a lot more testing.
It was mentioned that you could tune the sound of the exhaust, but with the particulate filter in the way everything comes out pretty quiet, so sadly no more noise.
I have also found out through this site that there are two different size fuel tanks, asked VW which one I have, not very helpful, then wife says “wait until your on half a tank, fill up and multiply by 2” doahhhh. How silly do I feel ! Will keep you updated regarding the fuel saving and how he gets on when he goes down to Coast VW to have all the Seikel’s kit fitted.

I have also found out through this site that there are two different size fuel tanks, asked VW which one I have, not very helpful, then wife says “wait until your on half a tank, fill up and multiply by 2” doahhhh. How silly do I feel !
Oh, don't let her get away with that, simply respond. "Nice thought 'Dear' but the needle is not that linear" :)
Will keep you updated regarding the fuel saving and how he gets on when he goes down to Coast VW to have all the Seikel’s kit fitted.
They did ours, great job..

What did you have done ? How did it work out ?
Any problems/issues/difficult decisions ,any advice ?

How bad was your mpg? 205 4motion dsg exec caravelle here and I’m getting an average of 36 mpg measured over 14k, usually with two up, luggage and dogs, can get around 42mpg on a run if I sit at 65 to 70, over that mpg drops off rapidly!

Sadly I can’t be more specific as I have only had the T6 for a short while and had not set out to measure the fuel consumption more accurately. When travelling in our T5 it would sit on the full mark for at least the first 200 miles before dropping and we have done Bournemouth to very near the South of France (800+miles) on one tank. In contrast with the T6 no matter how short the journey the fuel gauge would drop ! Most journeys are made at 70-80mph using the cruise control where possible. I will be keeping a much closer eye on my fuel consumption in future.

Back