Visiting Dumfries & Galloway

stu3467

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Morning heading just over the border into Scotland next week Castle Douglas area. Any ideas on places to visit or great walks in that area?

Love D&G, so unrated. Kippford is really nice - the galloway forest park is pretty wild and the lighthouse at the end of the mull of galloway / portpatrick is well worth the drive.

Love D&G, so unrated. Kippford is really nice - the galloway forest park is pretty wild and the lighthouse at the end of the mull of galloway / portpatrick is well worth the drive.
Thanks for that the Galloway forest park looks good, just need to find best places to park up for best walks and scenery as it looks pretty big !!

Kippford is nice and the nearby Sandyhills Beach.
Kircudbright is a lovely place to visit as is Isle of Whithorn.
You can stop over at the Kirroughtree mtb centre and there’s some nice walks around the forest there.
We stayed a couple of nights at drumroamin farm camp site. Basic but very nice and well kept and lovely location.

Portpatrick is nice and I had the best pints of Guiness there that I've ever had outside of the island of Ireland. Trouble is there was too many of them and I've no idea what pub it was.

The Devil's Porridge museum in Gretna, about the explosives made locally.
Caerlaverock Castle
Try Historic Environment Scotland for other castles etc locally. If you are an English Heritage member you get half price in the first year, and free entry if a member for more than one year, to all HES sites.
Robert Burns working farm, just north of Dumfries
Old Bridge House, in Dumfries

The Devil's Porridge museum in Gretna, about the explosives made locally.
Caerlaverock Castle
Try Historic Environment Scotland for other castles etc locally. If you are an English Heritage member you get half price in the first year, and free entry if a member for more than one year, to all HES sites.
Robert Burns working farm, just north of Dumfries
Old Bridge House, in Dumfries
like the sound of the devils porridge museum cheers:)

Stayed here for a week in 2019. On the edge of the forest, loads of walks, 7 minutes walk to the local Inn and 15 minutes drive to Newton Stewart. There are many paved walkways into the forest as access is used by the Forestry and Land Scotland.
Also stayed at CriffelView Caravan Site, New Abbey, Dumfries

New Abbey is a little more remote, but a lovely village.

like the sound of the devils porridge museum cheers:)
I’ll second the recommendation of the Devil’s porridge museum and Kippford too! Also, Port Patrick was lovely when i visited there - now feeling sad that I missed the Guinness.:(

Back