VCDS tow bar question

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I fitted my own tow bar and VW wanted too much money to program it.
It's the Westfalia with OEM electrics from PF Jones.

I'm just about to receive my VCDS unit and want to make sure that I don't need the tow bar prep to enable the features via the programming.
I hate the reversing sensors activating when I have something hitched up - I'm assuming as part of the programming this will be disabled.
What I don't want is to find out that without the tow bar prep, this function isn't available.

Towbar prep means the trailer module is already fitted and programmed. You‘ll be fitting it and programming it yourself. Yours will work exactly as oem. When something is hitched up, your reverse sensors will be deactivated, the fog light disabled on the van and the stability control will be adjusted.

Add module 69 to the installed list in the van gateway. You’ll also need to tick a box in module 10 PDC.

I’ve yet to plug my newly purchased VCDS unit in, hopefully tomorrow!
I have the T32, 6 speed 150 PS I think.

I assume the scan and save will be my ‘gold’ image for when I mess things up and want to revert back to my baseline?

Towbar prep means the trailer module is already fitted and programmed. You‘ll be fitting it and programming it yourself. Yours will work exactly as oem. When something is hitched up, your reverse sensors will be deactivated, the fog light disabled on the van and the stability control will be adjusted.

Add module 69 to the installed list in the van gateway. You’ll also need to tick a box in module 10 PDC.
Thanks @Deaky
So this is my current reading of module 69, therefore it's already 'added' I assume?

Address 69: Trailer (J345) Labels:. 1K0-907-383-V2.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 383 F HW: 1K0 907 383 F
Component: ConWysTrailer H07 0100
Revision: 3A001001 Serial number: 00000132425721
Coding: 0100000100000000
Shop #: WSC 00007 223 174336
VCID: 303915EA7A2B5ACBE3B-8064

What Hex bit do I change to inform the van it has a tow bar fitted?

i worked through this step by step following a guide 'somewhere', it either came with the bar kit or i found it online.....just searched and think it might have been this one as it looks very familiar! - Towbar probs

Thanks @Deaky
So this is my current reading of module 69, therefore it's already 'added' I assume?

Address 69: Trailer (J345) Labels:. 1K0-907-383-V2.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 383 F HW: 1K0 907 383 F
Component: ConWysTrailer H07 0100
Revision: 3A001001 Serial number: 00000132425721
Coding: 0100000100000000
Shop #: WSC 00007 223 174336
VCID: 303915EA7A2B5ACBE3B-8064

What Hex bit do I change to inform the van it has a tow bar fitted?
Have you added module 69 in the installed modules list or is it already there? You also need to tell PDC module that a tow at is installed and maybe abs module. Can’t really remember

Have you added module 69 in the installed modules list or is it already there? You also need to tell PDC module that a tow at is installed and maybe abs module. Can’t really remember
I've not made any changes, so it's already there - hopefully a good sign.
As it's raining, I'm going through the manual - it's a slog and I'm not sure the information I need is in there.

I've not made any changes, so it's already there - hopefully a good sign.

I've copied this from your other VCDS thread - Your tow electrics module has not been registered - you need to do that first.

Chassis Type: 7H-VN75 (7E0)
Scan: 01 03 04 08 09 10 15 17 19 25 5F 61 69 0B

VIN: WV1ZZZ7HZGH121726 Mileage: 101040km-62783miles

01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
04-Steering Angle -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
10-Park/Steer Assist -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: Malfunction 0010
17-Instruments -- Status: Malfunction 0010
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: Malfunction 0010
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
61-Battery Regul. -- Status: OK 0000
69-Trailer -- Status: Not registered 0001

I fitted my own tow bar and VW wanted too much money to program it.
It's the Westfalia with OEM electrics from PF Jones.

I'm just about to receive my VCDS unit and want to make sure that I don't need the tow bar prep to enable the features via the programming.
I hate the reversing sensors activating when I have something hitched up - I'm assuming as part of the programming this will be disabled.
What I don't want is to find out that without the tow bar prep, this function isn't available.

.....quick question re the PFJones dedicated. Where does the unit plug or wire in to the T6. I am looking at the Westfalia swaneck detachable and PFJ electrics but the photo on PFJ is a box with the parts inside lol. Also did you code the vehicle successfully with your new VCDS setup. I'm looking at buying one too. I'm just wondering if VCDS will become my new hobby.

It's a simple installation process, the cabling runs into the engine bay with all the relevant fuses separated.
The most difficult part is the two cables that need spicing into the wiring loom under the drivers side dash.

I've not yet managed to code my T6 - still getting used to the interface and a little worried I might F**k it up :eek:

Ahhr ok different to Westfalia electrics which seems to wire in on the back quarter . The PFJ website suggests the lights may not need coding (just sendors/ stability etc) doesn't give details . Also says might need a dealer visit for coding if the towbar fitter can't code it FFS which would leave me in the same position if I'd fitted it myself. Think I'll get one on order as well as a VCDS cable . Good luck I can learn from your mistakes lol

Looking the posts above.
The first thing to do/verify - to have module 69 "ticked/registered" in the CAN Gateway

Starting from main menu
  • Select Control Module
  • 19-CAN Gateway
  • Installation List
  • Tick: 69-Trailer
  • Save coding

1594208882197.png

Ahhr ok different to Westfalia electrics which seems to wire in on the back quarter . The PFJ website suggests the lights may not need coding (just sendors/ stability etc) doesn't give details . Also says might need a dealer visit for coding if the towbar fitter can't code it FFS which would leave me in the same position if I'd fitted it myself. Think I'll get one on order as well as a VCDS cable . Good luck I can learn from your mistakes lol
All the lights etc work, it's just the reversing sensors are still active when you have a trailer, (which is loud and annoying). I believe there are other atributes that might be changed with the correct coding.

I'm your man if you're looking to learn mistakes from, I think I'm currently the unofficial forum leader of making mistakes, (feels like it anyway):slow rofl:

Back