Van Tech Side Bars - any good?

borat

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Anyone got the powder coated van tech side bars? How have they held up if so? They are stainless steel unlike some of the others but notice they say they will only warranty the powder coating for 3 months. Perhaps fair enough but would be good to know if anyone has use them

I was looking at those too

It’s either them or the Transporter HQ ones that are also meant to be stainless.

Problem is they can use a real crappy grade of stainless and still call it stainless steel. I’ve bought a cheap stainless steel shower basket thing before that rusted within weeks.

I was looking at those too

It’s either them or the Transporter HQ ones that are also meant to be stainless.

Problem is they can use a real crappy grade of stainless and still call it stainless steel. I’ve bought a cheap stainless steel shower basket thing before that rusted within weeks.
Indeed, the definition of “stainless steel” has fallen somewhat! I think the gold standard is “British Stainless Steel”

(Yes, the irony of that statement coming from an Irishman isn’t lost upon me!)

I did see something on here about a company that was making them with a different coating that lasts better than powder coating but can't find it now

I have their satin black angular side bars, bought at last years Bus Fest. I’ve not noticed any chips in the finish yet, but my mileage has been quite low since fitting (apart from a visit to Austria) and I have mud flaps fitted.
I was pleased to confirm that they do not obstruct access to the jacking points by my trolley jack (though you have to be careful).
Actually bolting them to the van was fairly straight forward, but the plastic under trays needed trimming around the mounts making the job a bit longer.

Last edited:
Back