Van Furniture Self Build Advice

T6ChrisO

AutoCAD engineer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Received my flat pack U-Shape furniture today from Van Furniture.

Does anyone have any advice or tips from when they have done it themselves?

IMG_7500.jpeg

I have fitted their u shape. Fairly straight forward just take your time. I found some of the pre drilled holes weren't quite in the right place and had to request a bracket which was missing be sent out. Oh and they sent me the wrong worktop without the cut out, they sent a replacement and they said they would pre-finish it for me and oil as compensation but the replacement arrived unfinished but couldn't be bothered to follow this up.

I found the edges weren't finished and were very rough so need a good sanding I was quite disappointed by this given the cost I paid.

My biggest tip would be to sand and then oil all the edges prior to fitting as I have still not got round to doing this.

You also need to think about how you shall fix to the van as the kit doesn't come with anything to do this. I used angled metal brackets and wood screws and fixed to the plywood floor and fixed the units together but I know others have used riv-nuts to secure to the van sides.

I have fitted their u shape. Fairly straight forward just take your time. I found some of the pre drilled holes weren't quite in the right place and had to request a bracket which was missing be sent out. Oh and they sent me the wrong worktop without the cut out, they sent a replacement and they said they would pre-finish it for me and oil as compensation but the replacement arrived unfinished but couldn't be bothered to follow this up.

I found the edges weren't finished and were very rough so need a good sanding I was quite disappointed by this given the cost I paid.

My biggest tip would be to sand and then oil all the edges prior to fitting as I have still not got round to doing this.

You also need to think about how you shall fix to the van as the kit doesn't come with anything to do this. I used angled metal brackets and wood screws and fixed to the plywood floor and fixed the units together but I know others have used riv-nuts to secure to the van sides.
Thank you for this.

I’ve started on it this morning and already noticed that predrilled holes on the instructions aren’t on the panels at times.

My biggest bug at the minute is I really think they should number or letter the panels to save fishing around for what you need!! Grrrrrr

Reactions: CAB
As said, definitely do all the sanding and sealing before you fit into van.
Instructions are poor, could hardly read mine, blurred photo copies, total crap.
If you scribe the wheel arches a bit, you can shift the whole u shape unit to the rear a few cm’s, every little helps, to give more space up front behind drivers seat and the sliding door opening.
YouTube channel, ‘Higher ground lifestyle’ is a good watch, he has some tips and adaptions when fitting his furniture.
I fitted the u shape kit and extended the rear top bed slate section right up to the tailgate, so the bed is 180cm long.
I also built units on top of the rear section above the wheel arch, so we effectively have a LShape layout now.
Enjoy making it your own, it’s cheap enough to chop and change these kits around to suit your own needs.

Back