Van blowing 5 amp fuse and engine cutting out

djball

I have a 2017 T6 LWB panel van. It broke down this week and ended up being towed to a garage as interior lights still worked but van wouldn’t start. Not a battery issue. Upon investigation, turned out to be 5 amp fuse which controls the dash. This caused the engine to go into limp mode and then cut out completely in a matter of seconds. A new fuse was fitted and seemed fine but having used the van today, the same thing happened again. Luckily had a spare but can’t keep doing this as it’s not safe when travelling along a dual carriageway. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks

What fuse?

Got a pic?

Fuse cards and schematics are in the download section for VIP members.

What's the van spec? Converted?

What fuse?

Got a pic?

Fuse cards and schematics are in the download section for VIP members.

What's the van spec? Converted?
B610BE48-CA6A-4302-9640-135566B51CC5.jpeg01E25EB8-2E02-4576-8288-FF945B75AEAC.jpeg
It’s the bottom of the two 5 amp fuses in this pic. The van is a long wheel base T6 panel van 2.0 TDI, 2017, and isn’t converted.

looking at this:

its shown as SC8 - light switch

1671309366597.png

++++++++++++

and here:

1671309404963.png

1671309450103.png

1671309730592.png

so you have an issue with the wiring for the E1 ligyt switch?

1671309772266.png

is it standard?

have you got lights tapped off the light switch?

I’ve had LEDs fitted in the back of the van but I’m not sure that this would tie in with this. My light switch is standard but not the same as the one in the picture. It doesn’t have the auto option. What you have said has been helpful, much more than the breakdown guy

What are the curcimstanses when the fuse blows?

Headlights on?.. off?

Interior lights on/off?

Engine running.?

Brake lights.?

Etc etc.

Have the rear lights been taken off the existing circuits?

Or have you got a new switch for them?

Have you got a leisure battery setup?

Post some pics, they tell a 1000 words .

Fwiw.

The ambient light and curtsey light circuit come from the light switch... AFAIK.

So extra lights connected could cause an issue depending on where they are tapped in.

Reactions: CJW
Is it just me or can anyone see fuse SC9 on here?

I can only see SC8 (30A) and SC32. Is there a diagram with SC9 on it? Either way, I can't see the headlight switch causing the engine to cut out.

1671309730592-png.182394

ah, I found in on another page.

Fuse SC9 feeds the headlight stalk for the flasher, not the headlight switch. My guess it blows a fuse when you flash the lights of go on high beam. It's unfortunately not connected to the engine as far as I can see.

Sc8 & sc9 are both 5A and relate to van lighting.

Sc7 is the 30A fuse below them.

Agreed that the light switch should not shut down the engine.

So there must be something else going on.

Have we got any code scans?

SC14 makes more sense.

This is a 5a fuse which feeds the powertrain CAN bus isolator, so if that blows it will stop the engine.

any update on this? this looks like SC26, I am having the exact same problem and have made a thread about it, a previous owner has swapped my 5a fuse out of a 10a but I'm pretty sure it's in the same slot as yours, I have a picture on my thread that shows the fuse. I also has the fuse randomly blow whilst driving which caused the engine to cut out.

Back