Thule Roof Rack 751/753 Foot or VW roof prep rails

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in... I have a quick question.
How do you actually get to your roof bars to load/unload anything? I'm not tall, but not super small either (5,7). I have a step from Dunelm for loading the bike rack and it doubles as a drinks holder once pitched up.

However, even on this step i can't really reach the top middle of the roof bars.

Any advise welcme.

Thanks

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in... I have a quick question.
How do you actually get to your roof bars to load/unload anything? I'm not tall, but not super small either (5,7). I have a step from Dunelm for loading the bike rack and it doubles as a drinks holder once pitched up.

However, even on this step i can't really reach the top middle of the roof bars.

Any advise welcme.

Thanks
At home I use a short ladder with large pipe lagging fixed on the uprights and lean it against the van. As long as the van and lagging are clean it doesn’t cause any damage.
If you are carrying anything long like a canoe I’d go for a roller in the rear position. I’m thinking of making a rear roller incorporated into a third rack member with a guide / protector for the top of the tailgate.
You’re right the height is a PITA and luckily it’s not my only choice at the moment.

Hi, so you are using 753 foot pack , evo wing bars 135 ? , what was the fitting kit please, I need some bars for my paddle board and kayak. thanks
Hi @superflyguy,

I think so.. I just ordered it from here:

I have a kombi but I wanted the low black kit.. I’m not sure if it is actually meant for the kombi because they didn’t sit in the gutter correctly.. I think I may have needed either the long caps that fill the gutter if they are a thing. But I worked with what I had and adapted them.. let me know if you find the feet that fit properly in the gutter

77E1FA69-B378-4B54-9C59-C62A34E4C2D8.png

Something like this I think I’d need with that foot pack?

apparently that’s a OEM part... has anyone got any details part numbers?

C3A23832-2064-4BBD-9C93-4AA70CE95B7B.png

A678ECED-732D-4A79-A8A0-DF57500DE6D8.png

Hi @superflyguy,

I think so.. I just ordered it from here:

I have a kombi but I wanted the low black kit.. I’m not sure if it is actually meant for the kombi because they didn’t sit in the gutter correctly.. I think I may have needed either the long caps that fill the gutter if they are a thing. But I worked with what I had and adapted them.. let me know if you find the feet that fit properly in the gutter

View attachment 93000
Thanks mines for a kombi, so may have the same issue then.

Thanks mines for a kombi, so may have the same issue then.
Definitely will have a little trouble.. unless you find out what feet you need for the kombi.. I did make them fit just shaved some of the rubber off. Not ideal but it worked for me as I could t send them back. Let me know what you find.

Definitely will have a little trouble.. unless you find out what feet you need for the kombi.. I did make them fit just shaved some of the rubber off. Not ideal but it worked for me as I could t send them back. Let me know what you find.
Will do, its a cheaper option than my initial idea of a frontrunner rack :eek:

Rhino Kambars are alloy and aero. I had a set on my Kombi before the Cali roof went on. Didn't leak. Don't need any roof prep rails.

By coincidence these are taking up space in my garage, so I'm open to offers

I run this exact set up on my edition using Thule Wing Bars and there foot pack, not sure which one. I’m away at the moment but I’ll look once I get back. I have the factory rail system which the foot pack bolts onto. Like the above pic!

D282296F-171D-4415-A014-DC43226B1E9A.jpeg

D9B748BC-6E07-474B-AFC2-64CCD282A9B3.jpeg

BB5694C6-EFB8-4EDD-A21F-6FD875F0EB32.jpeg

I run this exact set up on my edition using Thule Wing Bars and there foot pack, not sure which one. I’m away at the moment but I’ll look once I get back. I have the factory rail system which the foot pack bolts onto. Like the above pic!

View attachment 93084

View attachment 93085

View attachment 93086
Great, maybe I need to order the roof rail first, does it allow an awning fitment ? i.e a kador strip, as im using a lightning leisure one at the moment.
Nice to see we have the same taste in wheels :cool:

Ok so... I’ve just spoken to VW and it is the Caravelle roof bar preparation kit. It consists of about 6 different parts to order. A rail each side SWB/LWB and various screws. The whole thing I was quoted £290 all in. Hope this helps. I’ll find all the part numbers :thumbsup:

I did exactly this on my kombi, roof bar prep kit from vw cost £100 a side, then the thule feet/ aero bars.
I did this as it allows me have the bars in any location, which is great for roof boxes.
Thing to note:-
The rails come with 8 holes and fixings per side but kombi only has 4 per side.
I was happy to put a little sikaflex in places, front and rear end caps also need sticking, caravelle must have a lot more holes in the roof.
Also did this with my T5 and travelled the length of france a few times a year with roof box and windsurfing kit, never any issues.

Ok so... I’ve just spoken to VW and it is the Caravelle roof bar preparation kit. It consists of about 6 different parts to order. A rail each side SWB/LWB and various screws. The whole thing I was quoted £290 all in. Hope this helps. I’ll find all the part numbers :thumbsup:
That's great thanks, has anyone fitted an awning rail with this set up to allow drive away awnings etc ?

I’ve got one of those awning rails that stick up at a angle I’ll pop it on and have a look when I get the rails :thumbsup: I’ll let you know.

I’ve got one of those awning rails that stick up at a angle I’ll pop it on and have a look when I get the rails :thumbsup: I’ll let you know.
Thanks, im guessing you drop it under the caravelle rail ? doesn't this off set it slightly to the opposite side, I was going to order a front runner rack but they said it wouldn't allow an awning rail underneath.

Not sure how it all goes together but I pick it up Saturday so I’ll get some pictures of the whole thing see if it all fits

Great, maybe I need to order the roof rail first, does it allow an awning fitment ? i.e a kador strip, as im using a lightning leisure one at the moment.
Nice to see we have the same taste in wheels :cool:
So I use a Thule Omnistor which is bolted to the rails and attach my awning to that

26C8C424-7C0A-43E4-B6C6-5613A139344A.jpeg

I have just fitted fitted the roof rail prep kit to my lwb T5.1. Had to drill 3 holes each side and slot in the 3 captive nut holders each side, from the inside. These nut holders are the same as the ones that came with the van and to which the oem large headed nuts in the gutters screw into (5 ach side on the lwb). Relatively simple job. Someone asked about kador rail fitting with the roof bar prep kit fitted. On ebay you can buy a one piece c-rail that fits underneath these roof bar prep kit rails - £99!
I will probably go with the Thule 753 feet and 127cm Evo Wingbars.

Back