Thule Roof Rack 751/753 Foot or VW roof prep rails

I know what you're saying pal.
The oem bars are very discreet though. Once my roof box is off later or tomorrow I'll send you a photo of mine. See what you think.
Have a look at @Fish van.....you would not believe how much timber, glue, stain and DeWalt he gets in his van/palace.
The way I see it is the vans are too expensive a hobby if they're not working and earning.
Mine carries me and the wife for weeks at a time around the UK and Europe touring then when working is pulling a tri-axle 18ft trailer through axle deep mud and shi* collecting waste.
I completely agree with your thinking - it’s got to be paying for itself. We ditched the flash cars so that we have a California as a versatile family car (me, wife, two kids and two dogs!) That said, I’m a bit envious of you and your wife touring Europe!!

Hi @Jayjmac, looks good and something I’m planning to do. Do you have be entire list of part numbers? And did you just order them from a VW dealer?

How was fitting? From what I read it seems like you need to drill extra holes in the roof (which sounds a bit scary!). Did you need access to the roof from inside? (I’ve already lined ceiling panels).

Hi @Jayjmac, looks good and something I’m planning to do. Do you have be entire list of part numbers? And did you just order them from a VW dealer?

How was fitting? From what I read it seems like you need to drill extra holes in the roof (which sounds a bit scary!). Did you need access to the roof from inside? (I’ve already lined ceiling panels).
No drilling at all. Mines a SWB you undo the current roof screws drop the rail into position and fix down with the 4 separate screws (I’ll get to these in a min) like someone mentioned above somewhere the plastic end has a hole but nothing on the van to fix into. It’s quite tight I may blob a bit of mastic under it at a later date if it flaps around but it’s pretty firm.

VW said I need this whole fixing kit to go with the rails when what I actually needed was x8 6mm countersunk t25 head screws. Had I have known I’d have sorted the screws myself.

I purchased the whole kit from VW I’ll dig out the part numbers. It’s pretty easy for them to find.

No drilling at all. Mines a SWB you undo the current roof screws drop the rail into position and fix down with the 4 separate screws (I’ll get to these in a min) like someone mentioned above somewhere the plastic end has a hole but nothing on the van to fix into. It’s quite tight I may blob a bit of mastic under it at a later date if it flaps around but it’s pretty firm.

VW said I need this whole fixing kit to go with the rails when what I actually needed was x8 6mm countersunk t25 head screws. Had I have known I’d have sorted the screws myself.

I purchased the whole kit from VW I’ll dig out the part numbers. It’s pretty easy for them to find.
OK, I thought that the van as standard has 4 holes on each side, but the rails have 8 holes each, so I was under the impression that extra holes need drilling with nuts inserted from inside. Did you decide not to do this as the standard 4 bolts each side hold it down enough?

OK, I thought that the van as standard has 4 holes on each side, but the rails have 8 holes each, so I was under the impression that extra holes need drilling with nuts inserted from inside. Did you decide not to do this as the standard 4 bolts each side hold it down enough?
The rail does have 8 holes and the van does only have 4 but I found the 4 was more than enough for my needs. After installing the roof bars they sit pretty solid. I personally do not intend to be carrying anything seriously heavy up there just a roof box with clothing and duvets in and maybe the odd triple extension ladder neither of which weigh a great deal..

I have the factory roof rack preparation and want to use the Thule 753 ( or the lowest possible system ). Anyone know if the 753 can be fit to the T tracks?

I have the factory roof rack preparation and want to use the Thule 753 ( or the lowest possible system ). Anyone know if the 753 can be fit to the T tracks?
I believe you use the Thule 3057 foot set to slide into these roof prep rails...see below!

Last edited:
For my part, I have the thule 860-862 + 794/795 aerobars so back to normal roof rails for me

Last edited:
You need the 751/753 plus the 3057 foot pack / adapter, for the VW T-Track system. I'm using 753 with 3057, plus 127cm aero bars for my Cali roof.

I have the 3057 foot pack on my kitchen table, will post a picture shortly.

21BF5F94-8C70-45DE-A17F-EE93EA3089DD.jpeg

393B88FF-2641-444F-8B44-DCA3F0102FB6.jpeg

10C73254-991B-4329-B276-12A0D089B113.jpeg

DE455113-C88B-42A4-84D4-FEBC67B0E197.jpeg

Did your bolts from VW look like these? Did they have any rubber seals? If you can share the part number for the bolt kit that would be great :thumbsup:

Did your bolts from VW look like these? Did they have any rubber seals? If you can share the part number for the bolt kit that would be great :thumbsup:
Hello mate,

sorry for the late reply! I got it all from VW parts. I think from memory you get the rails and a separate fixing kit. Comes with all sorts of bits you dont need… or maybe I did but I didnt fit them. I’m away but I’ll dig out the invoice or email.

Back