Tyre Sizes on 17" Thunders

VanBlanc

Life is a Beach so we are back...
VIP Member
T6 Guru
The long and short of it is I like the wheels I already have on my T5.

My T5 has T17" Thunders that came with 235/55s. I have had the rims refinished Anthracite. They look chunky on a van, they are a smart colour and I did not like the plastic cap in the middle of the Devonports. I ask you - £750 for a set of alloys with a plastic hub cap ;=)

So my plan was to do some swapping around when my T6 arrives. The wheels should fit fine, the change from 16" to 17" makes no difference other than about 2mph (tell me if you think not) and I will get a few quid for a set of brand new unused Claytons.

However I need 4 tyres now so I have bought 4 brand new Thunders with del milage Goodyear Cargo M+S to put on my T5.

The new wheels however are coming with 225/60 which adds up to the same thing so why the difference other than 10mm less tread and 5mm each side more sidewall?

I notice also that VW's idea of low rolling resistance tyres on a Bluemotion T6 is basically same width rim but skinnier tyre. Well I'm not going to fall for that! I will sacrifice a few drips of diesel in return for contact patch.

VW use the same centre in a few wheels, Devonports, Springfield, Springfield polished (these things cost £2500+++ for a set).
So you have a big disagreement with VW there:mad::mad:
I chose Devonports, and this side of some bespoke CNC cut aluminium billets (£6000/set) would not swap them for anything, including ABT's or MTM's. Reason being I am absolutely convinced that 17" is the best size there is for T6's all things being considered.
I run 235/60/17 which fill the arches lovely and do everything else very well, and look great imo and look oem (very important to me, at present). Not saying they have to be oem, just look oem.

I know lots of people agree with you as there are loads of delivery milage Devonports for sale, but I think that relates to fitting larger dia alloys, rather than the looks, I think!!!:):)

Tyre size wise I guess some of it relates to them saving £1 per tyre * 1,000,000 tyres = £1m saved (or Euros), and then you sent to to the USA for lying about emmisions :rofl::rofl::rofl:

download.jpeg

Nice wheels Chris - just a shame about the plastic bit. TBH left plain with chrome or black bolts would have looked better than the plastic cap.

This is what I have got / will have.

View media item 129

Reactions: Rob
Your powder coated wheels look spot on with a white van, and the silver studs v anthracite wheels is a nice look. Devonports bit of black plastic would look poor against anthracite, so I see where you are coming from. The black plastic against silver wheels though contrasts well imo, so I guess its all about wheel colour.

I see one advantage you have is you can use many different size of stud as you do not need the 19mm bolt head with a wobble collar to fit the chrome or black plastic wheel covers that most VW T5/6 wheels use. When I have fitted spacers and needed new bolts it is nearly impossible to get the 19mm/wobble collars. The Devonports also have the advantage as they just cover what ever stud you use.

Are the Thunders load rates for 32 weight vans? If not that could explain the 225 tyres which may have a lower load rating, and be a bit cheaper for VW. Devonports cover all T6 axel load ratings with the correct 235 tyres.?????:confused::confused: just a thought

I guess they will be 3.2T rated - AFAIK they were an option across the T5.1 range. They came with 235/55.

Back