Twin Bed Layout.

First thread, wish me luck!

We are looking favourably towards the two single bed kind of layout and had almost settled on the Bilbos Nexa as we knew no better! Then I found this forum and after a bit of searching found some alternatives: We like the Jerba Taransay, especially the zip roof. We like the Nexa's roof too but leading field at the moment is the Reimo Multistyle. Features we like are hot water, the extra worktop flap, the tables and the wardrobe. We've also found the Bodans Crantock.

Does anyone know of any other alternatives which may compete with these?
Anyone unhappy with their Multistyle?
Is there a generic name for this layout which would make it easier to search for?

Thanks in anticipation. :thumbsup:

Reactions: CAB
Welcome to the forum, I've seen a few of those you mention online. But cant think of anyone with that layout on the forum.

Me!

Rear kitchen layout is your best bet for Google. I have a spreadsheet from when we were looking last year, off the top of of my head:

Denby
Hillside
Jerba
Rolling homes
Leisuredrive (Vivante)
Bilbos
Autohaus
Mal-vw
Reimo
Bodans
Middlesex
Rockin vans
Thistle Rose
Ecowagon
Coast2coast
Knights
Taylored
Northshore
Threebridge
Bigbluesky
Vw-t

Quite a bit more choice than even a year ago, seems its becoming more popular.

Storage is an issue, go LWB if you can.

Most of them offer the option of on board loo as well :thumbsup:

Me!

Rear kitchen layout is your best bet for Google. I have a spreadsheet from when we were looking last year, off the top of of my head:

Denby
Hillside
Jerba
Rolling homes
Leisuredrive (Vivante)
Bilbos
Autohaus
Mal-vw
Reimo
Bodans
Middlesex
Rockin vans
Thistle Rose
Ecowagon
Coast2coast
Knights
Taylored
Northshore
Threebridge
Bigbluesky
Vw-t

Quite a bit more choice than even a year ago, seems its becoming more popular.

Storage is an issue, go LWB if you can.

Most of them offer the option of on board loo as well :thumbsup:
Crikey! Not many then. :cool:
Thanks for that, there's my evening gone..........................
Most helpful.

• Haha
We opted for the rear layout after hiring both a side kitchen California & a rear layout Jerba Sanna.

We preferred the rear layout and opted a Bodans conversion of a lwb van. Bodans were happy to change their design to our requirements, we swapped the rear fixed toilet for an extra full height cupboard (with room in the bottom for a pull out portaloo) which gives us masses of storage.

We love our layout.

Easy compared to standard layout, there's faaaasands of 'em :slow rofl:
I would like to thank you again for your help. The true value of it will only be realised when we make our choice but you have certainly opened up our thinking. I have now gone through the list and ejected some of the wilder ones, and we can now look at ther others and piece together our favourite features. After that we'll try and get them all in one van! It's going to be an interesting summer! I will of course report back here with progress.

As this forum has been very helpful I thought I'd put a note on here that may help others.

Update: We first looked at a Bilbos Nexa and liked it. After a while we decided to go ahead but they didn't answer my email. That prompted me to come here looking for alternatives.
Last year we holidayed on the south coast and spent a day travelling to, and visiting CMC Reimo in Kent. We were impressed with the build quality, and were told we need to contact the top man who is the son of the couple who set the business up. After three phone calls I spoke to him and he said he would email a quote and meet me at the NEC show (Feb '22) just gone. No email so I expected to see the quote at the show. Met him at the show and not only no quote but he didn't remember my name or the phone call! He then cobbled together a quote including an awning rail, an Eberspacher and probably other stuff I never wanted but I had switched off by then....

We are currently looking elsewhere and I'll report back here later.

For anyone in customer service or anywhere near it for that matter, I recommend reading "In search of Excellence" by Tom Peters. It shows how the Americans have realised that good customer service doesn't actually cost anything, but boosts sales.

After being impressed by the build quality, the professional approach and the family involvement, we have ordered a Rolling Homes Livingstone.

After being impressed by the build quality, the professional approach and the family involvement, we have ordered a Rolling Homes Livingstone.
They do look very good on the website. What is the waiting time?

They do look very good on the website. What is the waiting time?
The lead times vary due to a number of variables. Assuming it's the same with all converters, they have vans on order from VW of given specifications. They know very approximately when they will be built and before the build starts, they can change certain specs. Mine has been changed from auto to manual and 110PS to 150PS. Due build June/July, expected August. If I wasn't so fussy over specifications I could probably get it sooner.

We opted for the rear layout after hiring both a side kitchen California & a rear layout Jerba Sanna.

We preferred the rear layout and opted a Bodans conversion of a lwb van. Bodans were happy to change their design to our requirements, we swapped the rear fixed toilet for an extra full height cupboard (with room in the bottom for a pull out portaloo) which gives us masses of storage.

We love our layout.
sorry for the random bump, do you have any pics of your conversion? Am intrigued to see it with the portapotti and full height wardrobe at the back! Contemplating something similar for ours…

sorry for the random bump, do you have any pics of your conversion? Am intrigued to see it with the portapotti and full height wardrobe at the back! Contemplating something similar for ours…
Don't apologise for the bump; keeps things alive! :) And it doesn't inconvenience anyone.
My way of thinking is that we're spending a lot of money so getting the wrong design is expensive. I found it hard to find pictures of the porta potti (although I we're having another make) because manufacturers seem to be pushing the built in versions. They're nice and practical but as you have obviously worked out, they lose the space above.

Update on ours: It's half built at VW and awaiting parts for the other half. The mind boggles as to which half is built.....:rolleyes:

• Sad
Jimmy
I as requested I attach a few photos of the rear of our van, the porta potti sits inside the rear bottom cupboard, we just pull it out at night and it then sits in the middle of the floor.
The back of the cupboard is also useful storage for hanging jackets, storing wheel ramps etc. Please note ours is a lwb van.

Internal.jpg

Photo 8.jpg

Photo 10.jpg

Well, it's all over.
In a previous post just above here I said they changed the spec of a previously ordered 110ps DSG to what I wanted: 150ps 6 speed manual, fortana red, removable towbar.
I had a call on Friday to say it's arrived in England but it's a 110! And therefore either a DSG (if that's not been changed as well) or 5 speed, I didn't ask.
Rolling Homes asked me if I would accept it with a price reduction or wait for a fortana red 150ps DSG about to leave Germany. Another alternative was to wait while they find a 150 manual of different colour. Their supplier, presumably a VW Commercial dealer and therefore representing VW, could offer no further alternatives.
Am I a bit green to think they could fit a 6 speed and remap the engine or does it involve bigger brakes and other things?
Rolling Homes said they have seen mistakes from VW before but only minor items like LED headlights not being fitted.
Having made plans and looking forward to our retirement we are bitterly disappointed but in the big scheme of things we still have our health and there are far worse things happening in the World right now.
We've cancelled the order and await the return of our deposit.

Thank you for the help and information I have taken from this forum, I hope I have put something back.

• Sad
Back