Trying not to LOSE MY SH**T

CALLAKN

Electrician / Linesman
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So I rounded the head on this screw… then I buy a kit to unwind the screw… HSS set. And the FCKERRR HAS BROKEN ON ME what next ??!

0EF9B17E-72FA-4AC0-B7B4-C78BCA3AC47A.jpeg

Geez...

Looks like you will need to drill out the core of the bolt.

Then try a easyout, reverse tap to get it out.

I'd be using a impact screwdriver... To try and shock it out.

You're going to struggle to drill out the embedded tip of the broken extractor.

I would get a small, sharp cold chisel, and carefully try and knock the bolt head in an anti clockwise direction.

Once you get the chisel at the right angle it will cut into the head and the hammering will help 'shock' the bolt loose.

You can try knocking the chisel in from opposite side to spread the hammering force.

You're going to struggle to drill out the embedded tip of the broken extractor.

I would get a small, sharp cold chisel, and carefully try and knock the bolt head in an anti clockwise direction.

Once you get the chisel at the right angle it will cut into the head and the hammering will help 'shock' the bolt loose.

You can try knocking the chisel in from opposite side to spread the hammering force.

Nice set that.....

I've added it my basket.

I'm not seeing the bit stuck in there?

Looks like it's just brittle and shattered.?

What I'm seeing is the bottom of the drill well from the previous easyout attempt.?

Screenshot_20221230_172313_Chrome.jpg

@CALLAKN will have to confirm the situation.

But some great ideas above.

As others have noted you will not be able to drill the HSS ezi-out or what ever else has snapped with a HSS drill. It is possible with a pure colbalt drill but I wouldn’t attempt it without a custom made drilling dolly as it will certainly drift off centre.
I would use a direct strike to the centre of the fastener with a flat headed drift / pin punch and a hammer to attempt to stretch the thread.
Then use a centre punch to create a dimple near but not on the edge of the countersunk head.
Then use a small diamond point cold chisel to gentle tap the head around, a blunt chisel will prevent the head being cut instead of turning. Many light taps rather that a few heavy ones!
If that fails I would weld a nut to the head of the fastener. The welding will take 2 seconds but I suggest a couple of hours is spent to make guard and cover everything but the head of the screw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz
You might be able to tap a slightly larger torx head driver into it. The tapping will also help shock the bolt to loosen it.
Worth a shot before buying some of the other tools mentioned above.

So I rounded the head on this screw… then I buy a kit to unwind the screw… HSS set. And the FCKERRR HAS BROKEN ON ME what next ??!

View attachment 183537
I would use some sort of cutter grinder or even a dremel tool cut a new slot across then use a large slotted screwdriver if needed then you could use the tap hard shock method
Best of luck

I would use some sort of cutter grinder or even a dremel tool cut a new slot across then use a large slotted screwdriver if needed then you could use the tap hard shock method
Best of luck
Ps make sure it’s not an opposite thread ???

FYI ..

That bolt is this:

Triple square, or spline bolt as they call it.

But it's defo well tight.

So imact screwdriver is good to free it up.

Not sure on its re tighten tourque spec.

20221230_180219.jpg20221230_180225.jpg20221230_180231.jpg

Back