Tricks and tips for winterising the van

Mr blue

T6 Pro
Do any of you have any good advice for how you deal with the winter months and your van not being used ?

Hi Mr Blue,

if you can get power to your van, running a dehumidifier can be useful. We maintain our caravan this way and it is bone dry!

regards,

JOG

If you have cupboards and drawers, leave them open to allow airflow. Again recommend a small low heat heater or frost tube to prevent damp.

Thoughts on winterizing the water system please - we have an underslung tank and a Sureflo pump. Despite draining down the tank, running the pump dry and leaving the tap open we've had two taps cracked when the temps dropped, and also had to replace two pumps despite there being no obvious signs of cracks or other failure. That's the thick end of £150 for the pump and tap!

Getting at the pump is a pita as it's well hidden below the sink, and behind the units. The downside of a neat install by our converters.

I have a vague recollection of some sort of system for blowing air through the system to purge it completely. But I can't see how to do that unless it was done from the tap end.

If you have access to power and a drain then a desiccant dehumidifier is a good bet as the both dry the air and heat it slightly.

In outbuildings I use an Ecoair Simple and a Meaco DDL8 junior.

The simple is much better for this use as it has a basic dial to set where it operates. The DDL8 has 3 electronic settings and all are a bit dry for "keep the damp off" so it ends up running more than it really needs to. Both have the crucial feature that the restart where they left off if there is a power glitch.

Prices for the Ecoair Simple are surprisingly high at the minute, not sure why.

I use mine all year but in order to avoid draining the water tank when below freezing I have fitted a 12v heater element connected via a programmer.
Tested last winter, works a treat.
My advice to keep using it, if the weather gets too grim head south.

Back