Transporter Fuel pump

Rich Green

Electrician
T6 Pro
Hi guys. Does anyone know if I should be able to heard a fuel pump whirr on my 2011 2.0tdi transporter when the ignition is turned on? All is silent and I have a fuel related issue I think

2011?

You can run the lift pump via VCDS or other scan tool.

The lift pump is ECU controlled and should come to life when ignition is on....

2011?

Thanks mate. I don’t have the kit to test that. I unplugged the fuel pipe to filter last night and turned ignition on and off a few times but didn’t get any fuel out in the container after. The old fuel filter was prob 3/4 full tho?

There are 2 lift pumps from memory.

One in the tank and one in the engine bay.

Then the HPFP in the engine.

What's the symptoms then if the fuel filter was almost full?

Crank no-start?

I am sure that I read somewhere that the fuel is primed upon the opening of the driver's door. I have never heard mine but I never use the driver's door! ( I may be wrong and it was another vehicle that does this)

I am sure that I read somewhere that the fuel is primed upon the opening of the driver's door. I have never heard mine but I never use the driver's door! ( I may be wrong and it was another vehicle that does this)
yes this has been mentioned before.

but I've not tested it, or even heard mine.

but i can hear it when the van is running.

ill need to test with a second person that the pump starts running on IGN.

just went out to the van with the missus.

NO PUMP PRIME UNTILL ENGINE RUN.

then a short after run of the pump when the engine was shut down.

this is the tank lift pump.

by holding hand on the tank and feeling for the pump vibration.

yes this has been mentioned before.

but I've not tested it, or even heard mine.

but i can hear it when the van is running.

ill need to test with a second person that the pump starts running on IGN.
Just had a listen inside the fuel tank when the ignition was turned on and the drivers door opened. Couldn’t hear anything on either occasion. I’m just praying it’s not the dreaded HPFP

Just had a listen inside the fuel tank when the ignition was turned on and the drivers door opened. Couldn’t hear anything on either occasion. I’m just praying it’s not the dreaded HPFP
The lift pump only runs for 2 seconds when the door is first opened. (This only happens on certain VWs like the Touareg but not the transporter)

The lift pump only runs for 2 seconds when the door is first opened. (This only happens on certain VWs like the Touareg but not the transporter)
Is that everytime it’s opened or just once when it needs priming tho?

Last edited by a moderator:
That pump it is fed with a Blue/Yellow cable in a connector under the passenger seat, check for 12V.
1593184226480.png

And that is fed from the Fuel pump relay in the E-box under the battery.
1593184370274.png

Thanks mate. I can forget worrying about the pump now! He has just pulled the cam belt off and there is a large section with no teeth left! Gutted is not the word

2011?

You could prime the fuel pump through computer tool but will not start after couple of miles

Last edited by a moderator:
Back