Tracker Sim Card

T6Jay

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Can anyone recommend a sim card for a GPS tracker.

Obviously I want the cheapest and best :)

On a similar subject, the tracker has a relay output which can be used as an immobilizer. Where would I connect this (T6.1), fuel pump? starter relay? or somewhere else? Is it best to prevent starting, or to force the vehicle to stop?

Last edited:
Ta

Does it have a minimum use requirement? ie minimum of sending a text or making at least one call in XX months?

I have a gif gaff PAYG only ever topped it up ones in 4 years.
Thanks!

I've ordered a GifGaf free sim, do I just choose the cheapest payg bundle, £6 I think?

Any thoughts on connecting the 'cut out'?

I use Giffgaff too. You just need to send a text every few months to keep your account active, but they email you to let you know so it's not an issue. I think there are liability issues about using the relay to cut off the engine. E. G. If someone stole the van and then crashed into someone because the power steering and power brakes also stopped working when the engine cut out. Best to use it to prevent the engine starting in the first place I think.
(I use the relay wire to switch my diesel heater on remotely)

Thanks!

I've ordered a GifGaf free sim, do I just choose the cheapest payg bundle, £6 I think?

Yea cheapest, I used to ring it once a month to keep the free EU roaming so doesn’t use anythin.

I considered wiring in the stop, but once I had the ghost fitted I forgot about it.
it can be safely wired into the circuit that supplies the feed for the starter circuit relays so it would immobilise as soon as stop start kicked in or was turned off.
I didn’t consider stopping it when running as this could be dangerous to the poor seal who knicks it :mad:

I use Giffgaff too. You just need to send a text every few months to keep your account active, but they email you to let you know so it's not an issue. I think there are liability issues about using the relay to cut off the engine. E. G. If someone stole the van and then crashed into someone because the power steering and power brakes also stopped working when the engine cut out. Best to use it to prevent the engine starting in the first place I think.
(I use the relay wire to switch my diesel heater on remotely)
I like this idea, if i don't immobilise I'll be doing this (if my planar has a remote ON?). Thanks!

I didn’t consider stopping it when running as this could be dangerous to the poor seal who knicks it :mad:
Yea, my impulse says 'f.... them' but on reflection I can't really do it.

I use Giffgaff with my tracker and have done so with a previous vehicle. In both cases the tracker is/was well buried within the vehicle construction and not easily accessible.

When I sold the previous vehicle I had considerable problems transferring the ownership of the SIM to the new vehicle owner. Some due to Giffgaff's systems failing but never the less a bit of a pain.

I've used TK103A trackers, they do what it says on the tin although not acceptable by insurance companies for any discount etc. As others have said, just call the tracker and receive its text message back to keep it 'alive' with Giffgaff.

As for using the disabling relay & contacts, I've often wondered about a connection that would drop the vehicle into 'limp mode' thus not actually stopping it but slowing it down and bringing it to the attention of other road users. Anyone else tried such a method?

I definitely wouldn't wire it up to bring the vehicle to a stop for two reasons:

1) You don't really want a bug in the tracker software, accidental text, etc, to bring the van to a halt at 70mph in the fast lane.
2) Even if it is stolen, you may not care about the scumbag who stole it but if it ends up being some random family of five following them who runs into them as they carve across the motorway, you really don't want that on your conscience.

I definitely wouldn't wire it up to bring the vehicle to a stop for two reasons:

1) You don't really want a bug in the tracker software, accidental text, etc, to bring the van to a halt at 70mph in the fast lane.
2) Even if it is stolen, you may not care about the scumbag who stole it but if it ends up being some random family of five following them who runs into them as they carve across the motorway, you really don't want that on your conscience.
I agree. And it'll be wired for 'start prevention'.
And even in the case of the scumbag, a life is a life.

I agree. And it'll be wired for 'start prevention'.
And even in the case of the scumbag, a life is a life.
Any thoughts how that could be hooked up with the clutch pedal interlock. i.e. to over-ride the releasing of the interlock when the pedal is pressed thus preventing a manual re-start even if the engine was running when the tracker relay operated.
Is it switch F36? The wiring diagrams are a bit vague, is that mechanical or some sort of solid state / optical device? If mechanical is it normally open or closed?

I'm only thinking manual gearbox here.

@Robert maybe time for you to step in here.

Thanks!

don't use a bundle it will run out after a month, just put a £10 top up on it. Create an account on-line and top up via that, they will email you if and when you need to use it, it will last forever. I'm planning to wire in an iphone 5 I have knocking about so it charges up when the engines running then use the find my iphone or find friends function (which I think I read somewhere you can geofence) - worst case scenario I can call the van and shout out 'oi bring my van back you *##***# over the blue-tooth :slow rofl:

I am. An old iPhone with a Giffgaff SIM card.
I guess you have it on a constant charge as an IPhone can deal with that.
I think I’ll give it a go as my perfectly good IPhone 5 is loosing app’s capability on a weekly basis, good old Apple.

I guess you have it on a constant charge as an IPhone can deal with that.
I think I’ll give it a go as my perfectly good IPhone 5 is loosing app’s capability on a weekly basis, good old Apple.
Yes it’s on constant charge, though from my leisure battery, not the van battery.
Not sure what I would do if my van was stolen, but something along the lines of tracking it to its location while informing the police with the intention of reclaiming it (with the spare keys) if possible. Obviously avoiding any physical confrontation as well - though that may be hard...

Not sure what I would do if my van was stolen, but something along the lines of tracking it to its location while informing the police with the intention of reclaiming it (with the spare keys) if possible. Obviously avoiding any physical confrontation as well - though that may be hard...
My son had his VW Golf GTE stolen recently, that car has inbuilt tracking so he simply found its location and told the police. It must have been parked to 'cool off' so they recovered the car, had SOCO examine it, his insurance replaced locks etc. and the car is now back on the rightful drive. In fact the insurance paid for tyres to be changed as the car had been driven hard, deep cleaned outside and in and scuffs removed from the alloys! Probably in better condition that when stolen!

My son had his VW Golf GTE stolen recently, that car has inbuilt tracking so he simply found its location and told the police. It must have been parked to 'cool off' so they recovered the car, had SOCO examine it, his insurance replaced locks etc. and the car is now back on the rightful drive. In fact the insurance paid for tyres to be changed as the car had been driven hard, deep cleaned outside and in and scuffs removed from the alloys! Probably in better condition that when stolen!
That's a happy ending.
The T6.1 has built in tracking too, but I guess the scum know where it is, and pull the wires (or fuse) out. If i put my own in, they don't know its there (I hope)

Back