Tracker alternatives

No experience of the product and not affiliated, but Automatrics MTrack seems like a decent bit of kit - has GPS and RF so if the vehicle is inside a warehouse with no view of the sky for the GPS the RF allows them to track it.

They also have a YouTube channel where they show their recoveries

You are not party to how deployment decisions are made. I am. There are a host of reasons for decisions. Anyway, hope you have more 'luck' next time one of your vehicles gets swifted.
I do not claim to be party to those decisions simply stating my experiences. Others will have different experiences & so on.

Its better to have one than not. If the van does get stolen you have more of a chance for recovery. If you don't have a tracker you don't have that option. You need to have different security devises.(tracker, ghost, wheel lock, steering lock?) What ever you have you have to use it. I had my van stolen and it was recovered not because of the tracker. The police did take an interest and it was found the same day.

Its better to have one than not. If the van does get stolen you have more of a chance for recovery. If you don't have a tracker you don't have that option. You need to have different security devises.(tracker, ghost, wheel lock, steering lock?) What ever you have you have to use it. I had my van stolen and it was recovered not because of the tracker. The police did take an interest and it was found the same day.
I have a tile, an apple air tag, old iPhone, ghost, a mobile sim tracker built into the heating system, ring camera and a stop lock. To be honest - if they are going to the effort to disable a ghost then they would find the tracker and disable that as well… I also have multiple cctv cameras from the house onto my front drive.

It’s all a little bit annoying as it’s another expense, and with what I have already, seems a bit superfluous…

Hey @Dav-Tec,

Just looked on the map, unfortunately, you are a bit too far away from me. I am south of London. In any case, I am considering a ‘lifetime’ subscription option. As I have a ghost installed I do not think I need a immobilise/pass key type version. Any particular make you would recommend - also do you know any installers down this way?

cheers
cz.

No mate unfortunately not.

I only ever use MetaTrak to be honest buddy

Unfortunately for me they have said it has to be S5 or 7 and monitored…
I had the same statement from my insurance company, I got the Metatrak S5 fitted by @Dav-Tec with no issues.

Sleep better knowing it’s installed and monitored 24/7.

I have a tile, an apple air tag, old iPhone, ghost, a mobile sim tracker built into the heating system, ring camera and a stop lock. To be honest - if they are going to the effort to disable a ghost then they would find the tracker and disable that as well… I also have multiple cctv cameras from the house onto my front drive.

It’s all a little bit annoying as it’s another expense, and with what I have already, seems a bit superfluous…
If you are happy with your level of security what about the option of changing insurers to one that doesn’t have the tracker requirement?
Looks like you’ve got all bases covered already so even if the insurance is £100 a year more it’s still cheaper than a monitored tracker and much less hassle.

I'd disagree with that ghost is installed in one place and tracker is done somewhere else.

All depends who the installer is and how good they are at making the wiring look factory and binding the tracker

Have phantom senitel system in one of our vehicles, does everything we need and no false alarms. On new van have just had an immobiliser fitted but you can get a non thatcham tracker fitted for £7.99 from senitel

It's a bit naughty them not expressly telling you but it will have been in the paperwork somewhere.

Ghost aren't recognised by the insurance companies or at least very few because they aren't Thatcham accredited. Thatcham currently have no scope for CANbus/digital immobilisation.

MetaTrak S5 track starts at £449 including first years subscription (£169) and fitting from us depending what you want.

We only got the S5 as we've found that's what most insurance ask for and the cost difference between the 2 is negligible.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Mate,

looking into the metatrack option at the moment and wondering what you think are fair installed costs for the S5 and S5 deadlock?

cheers,

cz.

Depends on your location. You have to be careful some companies advertised price is misleading as it doesn't include the subscription cost. Our prices do. We also offer something's differently than other installers

Depends on your location. You have to be careful some companies advertised price is misleading as it doesn't include the subscription cost. Our prices do. We also offer something's differently than other installers
have a really good local firm that I want to use as they installed the ghost. Really good guys. They quoted £525 for Metatrack S5 VTS or £850 for the deadlock system. Both with 1 year subs. Online, mobile install offering price at £299 and £429 with no subsription so add £169 to that. So in comparison the local boys seem a little steep... am at busfest this Weekend so unlikely to get it done before so have more time to think about it…

alteratively I could just chuck a S7 in there… cheaper but I do like the functions of the s5…

I picked up a Tracker on Amazon for 60p. Fits in the glove box and insurance company took 10% off my premium.
Although I did read the T&C's like you should and those crafty insurers stipulate "do not place on engine or put in lunchbox as will void 10% if eaten"

IMG_20220905_201319.jpg

Last edited:
have a really good local firm that I want to use as they installed the ghost. Really good guys. They quoted £525 for Metatrack S5 VTS or £850 for the deadlock system. Both with 1 year subs. Online, mobile install offering price at £299 and £429 with no subsription so add £169 to that. So in comparison the local boys seem a little steep... am at busfest this Weekend so unlikely to get it done before so have more time to think about it…

alteratively I could just chuck a S7 in there… cheaper but I do like the functions of the s5…
The deadlock system might be steep ask them if its deadlock Pro and include obd port and alarm integration.

So company's brand it differently our we do vts, deadlock, deadlock plus and deadlock Pro variation descriptions are on the website buddy

The deadlock system might be steep ask them if its deadlock Pro and include obd port and alarm integration.

So company's brand it differently our we do vts, deadlock, deadlock plus and deadlock Pro variation descriptions are on the website buddy
No to both. He mentioned that the manufacturer alarm does not have any input/output options so alarm integration would only work with an aftermarket alarm added…
no to the obd port as well.

Back