Tracker alternatives

Has anyone had their vehicle stolen and recovered thanks to a tracker? My experience is the Police are not in a rush and it comes down to you to go and get it or risk it being moved and/or tracker disabled in the meantime.
Get one where you can immobilise your van remotely and then go round with a baseball bat etc.

Get one where you can immobilise your van remotely and then go round with a baseball bat etc.
Yeah it’s an option - I recovered a works van that had been stolen with a tracker, it was parked in a residential street. Climbed in the van quickly & quietly…wouldn’t start. A minute later 4 blokes standing outside the van asking if I am ok…. Had to sit and wave them away and say all fine and wait for a tow truck…. The good old days!

My Tracker is due renewal next month but they want an arm & a leg.

£400 for 3 years (£150 for 1) plus they are telling me tracker is coming to end of life on the battery which cant be charged: that'll be an extra payment and I am waiting for an answer.

Are there any alternatives out there?
£150 a year for peace of mind that your van can be recovered is nothing when the vans can cost upwards of £50K. I sleep well knowing Floyd is nigh on impossible to be stolen, anti Jack, ring fenced, alarm linked to the tracker and I can immobilise from my mobile. Plus it’s monitored 24hrs a day. £150 is a snip.

Last edited:
£150 a year for peace of mind that your van can be recovered is nothing when the vans can cost upwards of £50K. I sleep well knowing Floyd is nigh on impossible to be stolen, anti Jack, ring fenced, alarm linked to the tracker and I can immobilise from my mobile. Plus it’s monitored 24hrs a day. £150 is a snip.
You are right of course Texxaco: it just stings a little bit.

So, my insurance broker has now told me that my van should have had a tracker for the past three years, despite them not informing me it is a requirement of the insurance. I already have a Ghost fitted and the usual - old iPhone hidden - as well as an apply AirTag, etc.

A bit annoyed, as if they are going to have to circumvent the Ghost then they will be able to do the same with the tracker… but hey ho.

any recommendations on functionality/price of any S5 / S7 trackers?

cheers.

So, my insurance broker has now told me that my van should have had a tracker for the past three years, despite them not informing me it is a requirement of the insurance. I already have a Ghost fitted and the usual - old iPhone hidden - as well as an apply AirTag, etc.

A bit annoyed, as if they are going to have to circumvent the Ghost then they will be able to do the same with the tracker… but hey ho.

any recommendations on functionality/price of any S5 / S7 trackers?

cheers.
It's a bit naughty them not expressly telling you but it will have been in the paperwork somewhere.

Ghost aren't recognised by the insurance companies or at least very few because they aren't Thatcham accredited. Thatcham currently have no scope for CANbus/digital immobilisation.

MetaTrak S5 track starts at £449 including first years subscription (£169) and fitting from us depending what you want.

We only got the S5 as we've found that's what most insurance ask for and the cost difference between the 2 is negligible.

Cheers
Chris

With respect that's rubbish. A tracker activation gets a high priority response.
If there is no activation, there is nothing to chase.
It’s my experience in London with multiple occurrences - had to recover the vehicle ourself with no Police action at all.

I've got one of these ....

Using the portal you can find out everywhere the van has been since you installed the tracker, it has various alarms like battery disconnect, ign. on, geofence, speed, vibration.

You can enter a number of e-mail addresses for alerts and create a URL to give to the police to track it in real-time.

... I've never needed it but the alerts definitely work.

Subscription is €50 a year.

The only problem with it is that if it loses GPS reception, the last position is before reception was lost.

I can also locate the van using VW WeConnect, but it doesn't obviously send alerts.

You'd like the police to recover it on your behalf?
It could have evidence inside to make it easier for them to solve the crime. The police recover vehicles from serious accidents to ensure evidence is protected, usable in court etc. The point is it’s not a high priority for them.

It could have evidence inside to make it easier for them to solve the crime. The police recover vehicles from serious accidents to ensure evidence is protected, usable in court etc. The point is it’s not a high priority for them.
Unfortunately with the amount of SMV's and TWOCs, CSI's do not attend as a matter of course as they would be completely snowed under. They may find 100 different sets of DNA traces or FP's. You can't arrest them all. Unless there is other witness evidence, it's a non-starter.

RTC's are a different matter if it involves death or serious life changing injury. Not only is it for the benefit of the victim and family, but also the general public and govt bodies so lessons can be learnt.

I understand your frustration but that's how it is.

I understand your frustration but that's how it is.
I’m not frustrated just sharing my experience which you questioned. Everyone can make their own decisions on if they want a tracker, others may have more luck with the Police.

Or use a company that supports their product with finders that find the van and then wait with it for the police to arrive. Too many co’s sell hardware and subscriptions and not the back up

These are two co’s I’d recommend

I’m not affiliated in anyway to either co, but have first hand experience of their recovery process with police.

I’m not frustrated just sharing my experience which you questioned. Everyone can make their own decisions on if they want a tracker, others may have more luck with the Police.
I didn't question your experience just tried to explain it. Luck plays no part in a police resonse. Are you a Fleet manager ? Is that why you have multiple experiences ?

I didn't question your experience just tried to explain it. Luck plays no part in a police resonse. Are you a Fleet manager ? Is that why you have multiple experiences ?
You said that my point was rubbish and that it will get a high priority response. That is not my experience and now you are explaining why they don’t respond and thus proving my point.
Luck depends on police availability - made a 999 call once and been told no police available, said I just spotted a police car on x road and they said oh let me find them. Another time an off duty police officer was passing by scene of a car crash into my house and after being told by call handler the police were not interested off duty cop spoke to the call handler and within 10 minutes 3 police cars turned up…& a tow truck, seized the vehicle.

You are not party to how deployment decisions are made. I am. There are a host of reasons for decisions. Anyway, hope you have more 'luck' next time one of your vehicles gets swifted.

Back