Tpi 2043895/3 - Condensed Water Formation On Oil Filler Neck

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
TPI 2043895/3 - condensed water formation on oil filler neck.

Technical product information Transaction No.: 2043895/3
Service info: condensed water formation on oil filler neck Release date: 11-Dec-2017
Customer statement / workshop findings
White paste/foam/sludge in oil filler neck.

upload_2019-7-14_12-44-58.png

upload_2019-7-14_12-45-10.png

upload_2019-7-14_12-45-18.png

upload_2019-7-14_12-45-28.png

upload_2019-7-14_12-45-37.png

Technical background:
Because of its high efficiency the engine EA288 has low waste heat. As a result, the temperature is too low for
the water in the filler neck to evaporate. The big temperature difference of the filler pipe/cap to the remaining
system/oil circuit leads to increased condensed water formation on the filler neck/cap. The resulting emulsion (of oil and steam) is deposited as oil sludge.

On the EA288 engine in the Caddy, T6 and Crafter the filler neck/cap is positioned directly in the air flow (no
engine cover panel). This assists the condensate formation.
Production change
-

Measure
Explain the following background to the customer:

The big temperature difference of the filler pipe/cap to the remaining system/oil circuit leads to increased
condensed water formation on the filler neck/cap.
The emulsion on the filler pipe/cap is must therefore be regarded as normal. A repair is not necessary.
But the emulsion can also be caused by external water supply, therefore the following points must be observed.

• To rule out other causes check the oil and coolant level.

Sorry to restart this.. So would fitting the engine top cover ( that was deleted years back ) be a fix to stop the filler neck being in the airflow and reduce the condensation issue…
seems yet again manufacturers being led by accountants to save money and delete items to save more money only to cause issues for consumers :eek:

I have the top cover, never get any mayonnaise at the top, just to confuse you :laugh:

Engine cover gives improved acceleration ;)

Back