Towing MPG

RHD

Hi all
First long trip towing the caravan with 204ps swb kombi
I am only getting 20mpg average in a 400 mile journey?
Is this right ?

I manage 25/27 towing my 1500 kg single axle caravan with my camper converted Euro 5 140 Manuel.
Solo is between 36/40 mpg.

I’m happy with that!

I would be happy with that also .but 20 is a bit low , mine is auto Dsg but I run it mostly in 7th all the time on the motorway? might have to look at a remap to see if it can be improved

Towing a car on a 2 wheel trailer I get 25-29mpg. Mine is a 102 remapped to 160bhp, 5speed manual.

I think the 20" wheels gives a slight false reading. I get 35-38mpg on a long run at 60mph empty which give some idea how much a trailer has an effect.

Cheers
I’ve done the calculations from miles to fuel used it still only comes in at 21 per gallon ? still love the van though, I will have to look Into the remap I think

I'm not sure a remap will help. Mine was only 102hp and I found I was using full throttle everywhere when towing. (My tailer is 1800kg). After the remap I found I was using much less throttle and the ecconomy improved a little.
I find the ecconomy to be much lower if I use the cruise control. On slight hills the CC quickly goes to full throttle to maintain speed which drinks fuel. When driving without the CC enabled I keep the throttle constant and just allow the speed to drop a little.

I used custom vanz in Chippenham. They claim it’s 204hp but it’s no where near that. The chap who programmed it said it was about 160 due to the gearbox. (5speed)
There haven’t been any downsides. Better power and no change to fuel economy

Towing my Bailey 4 berth single axle I usually manage around 25mpg providing I am going steady! If going in a less than gentile manner its closer to 20.

Drag is exponential to speed, slow down, relax and enjoy the view.

Drag is exponential to speed, slow down, relax and enjoy the view.
I mostly try that, but sometimes my patiance with the ever incrasing poor standard of driving (like people doing 45mph on a mortrway for no good reason!) I find myself accelerating as hard as possible to get past them and not hold everyone up to my own cost!

Cheers gents
I will back off the fun pedal on the way home and see if it makes the difference

Just found this post. First trip pulling a small caravan.

204ps DSG LWB full camper with Revo remap. MFD showing up to 22mpg on motorway run. I usually get 32-38mpg without.

Calculations show 26.9mpg on full tank. 5/8 pulling caravan. 3/8 commuting.

Annoyed I couldn’t find anyway to fill up to separate the two parts.

Just found this post. First trip pulling a small caravan.

204ps DSG LWB full camper with Revo remap. MFD showing up to 22mpg on motorway run. I usually get 32-38mpg without.

Calculations show 26.9mpg on full tank. 5/8 pulling caravan. 3/8 commuting.

Annoyed I couldn’t find anyway to fill up to separate the two parts.
I have a 204/dsg/LWB/4mot full camper conversion. We tow a 1950kg boat on a twin axle trailer. If I’m careful I can get 28-30mpg towing. Not towing I can get 40+

I have a 204/dsg/LWB/4mot full camper conversion. We tow a 1950kg boat on a twin axle trailer. If I’m careful I can get 28-30mpg towing. Not towing I can get 40+
Yea, warm, calm, dry day. Long journey, I get 40+.

Driving 60mph today on cruise control I struggled to get over 20. Then off the cruise, varying speed up to 65/70, somehow crept up to 22mph.

Have had remap for only a week so far. Not really sure the impact yet.

Back