Towbar and Cruise Control

Wezzo

I’ve just had a tow bar fitted by a PF Jones fitter and he told me that when a something is connected to the tow bar, bike carrier or trailer in my case, that I lose the adaptive cruise control. Is that right or is the fella flexing me? I could probably work without the adaptive but cruise is a must have.

what do you reckon?

News to me. They fitted ours, and cruise control works fine with bike rack on tow bar.
Don‘t have adaptive.

Pete

I’ve just had a tow bar fitted by a PF Jones fitter and he told me that when a something is connected to the tow bar, bike carrier or trailer in my case, that I lose the adaptive cruise control. Is that right or is the fella flexing me? I could probably work without the adaptive but cruise is a must have.

what do you reckon?
Definitely no effect on adaptive cruise control.
Perhaps confused the ACC with side assist (blind spot) - rearward looking radar (on some T6s). Or with rear parking sensors - they will be disabled.

Yeah no issues for me. What you may find it that it disables coasting. Not tried it on the T6 but it does that on the skoda (although can be fooled)

what do you reckon?
bollox!! I've towed thousands of miles towing the boat with ACC taking the strain.

BS. You don’t loose adaptive when towing.

what do you reckon?
Hi,
How did you get on with this issue? I’ve put my trailer on for the 1st time this evening …and my ACC stopped working. Disconnected the trailer and it came back on.
I wonder is this an issue with just the PF Jones towbar loom??

In reply to chap about coasting while towing: no, it coasts, as normal, when not using cruise control.

Hi,
How did you get on with this issue? I’ve put my trailer on for the 1st time this evening …and my ACC stopped working. Disconnected the trailer and it came back on.
I wonder is this an issue with just the PF Jones towbar loom??
Perhaps trailer's brake lights are not working?

Perhaps trailer's brake lights are not working?
Hi, thanks for that. There was a warning message that came up saying ‘check brake lights’ … which I did and they are fine but the amber bulb symbol on the dash stayed on. I also connected my towbar bike rack to compare and it showed the same ‘check brake lights’ message… but again all the lights work fine.

Hi, thanks for that. There was a warning message that came up saying ‘check brake lights’ … which I did and they are fine but the amber bulb symbol on the dash stayed on. I also connected my towbar bike rack to compare and it showed the same ‘check brake lights’ message… but again all the lights work fine.
By any chance the brake lights are LED? Or short circuited with parking/side lights/indicator? For some reason the towbar electrics isn't happy.
The OEM towbar electronics electrifies appropriate circuits in spite of faults so a working light is certainly a good thing but no always the full truth.

By any chance the brake lights are LED? Or short circuited with parking/side lights/indicator? For some reason the towbar electrics isn't happy.
The OEM towbar electronics electrifies appropriate circuits in spite of faults so a working light is certainly a good thing but no always the full truth.
Now! This might be something.
Both my trailer and THULE bike carrier have 13 pin plugs and my towbar has dedicated 7 pin electrics. I have one of those push on 13 - 7 pin adapters on each of the plugs and both these show up a brake ligh fault when connected to the towbar.
I tried a mates bike rack with 7 pin plug - and showed no light error and ACC worked with it fine.
So, I’ve just cut off the 13 pin plug and replaced it with a new 7 pin plug and problem solved!
So it looks like whatever way the converters are wired is the issue.

Hopefully this may help someone else with similar woes.

Back