Tommy's T6.1 Day Van Build

I like the look of the seat offset plate.
Where did you get the plate from and how much did it cost ? Not seen one before.
Do you know if you can fit a swivel on top of it ?
Thank you.

Sorry for late reply! I got the plate through a buddy, and no you can't have a swivel on top unfortunately.

We also found that room up front is very limited, and if we're going to be doing long journeys in the van once we're allowed, we needed rear seats!

After some searching I found a rear triple bench, mounts and belts not too far away for £300! I found them at about 11:30pm, contacted the chap and by midday the following day I was on my way home with them! Result!
20210213_123937.jpg

And I've just made a rather substantial order with Dodomat! Can't wait to get it all fitted so the van feels less van like! Just need to decide on a carpet colour then I can get that ordered.
Screenshot_20210225-214909_Chrome.jpg

All me Dodomat stuff arrived last week. Just need the time to get it and the seats fitted. We're planning on going away in it end of May so that's my deadline!
20210306_160753.jpg
Also, excuse the messy garage :rofl:

Reactions: CAB
Managed to get the sound deadening and insulation on the sides and tailgate today.

Used 10m of the thermo liner Pro, about 55 sheets of the dead mat Pro, 10m of 50mm thermo fleece and 5m of 100mm thermo fleece. All the thermo fleece went in the tailgate and lower half of the van! I think I've gone abit overboard for sure! But better to have slightly too much than not quite enough!

Hopefully get the roof and floor done tomorrow! Then it's onto the cab and front doors!

IMG_20210320_163818_822.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
I don't think you've gone over the top, possibly not done enough :oops:
I covered the top panel as well with the white insulation and also covered the wheel arch with the sound deadening

I don't think you've gone over the top, possibly not done enough :oops:
I covered the top panel as well with the white insulation and also covered the wheel arch with the sound deadening

I used 15m of the white insulation in just the lower sections! I'd thought I'd bought enough to do the whole van! I was wrong!

I'll be putting more of the white furry stuff up top once I decide on what panels I'm using.

I used 15m of the white insulation in just the lower sections! I'd thought I'd bought enough to do the whole van! I was wrong!

I'll be putting more of the white furry stuff up top once I decide on what panels I'm using.
Dont be tempted to stuff too much of the white stuff in. If you compress it a lot it wont work as well. It's the air trapped in the insulation that is the thermal barrier, nit the white material itself.

Finally decided on a bike rack and went for the Thule Wanderway. Very easy to fit and allows us to upgrade to a 3/4 rack when needed.

Just need some stronger gas struts now to hold the thing up!
IMG_20210507_181216_112.jpg

I've also taken delivery of my carpet so I'll be hopefully carpeting the van in the next week or so! Can't wait for that to be done and out the way!

After fitting the bike rack, I thought it just looked a bit weird being a 2 bike rack, so I bought the extra bits and turned it into a 4 bike rack! Looks much better! Also fitted the higher rated struts to cope with the extra weight! 20210512_205607.jpg

I've finally managed to get my carpet lining done. I made a few very silly mistakes, but managed to do a pretty good job overall! I'm very proud of myself with having never done anything like this before!
20210515_123941.jpg
IMG_20210515_134943_200.jpg
20210524_140717.jpg20210524_140720.jpg20210524_140727.jpg

I don't know about anyone else, but the longer fixings to get the panles back on we're a complete ball ache! I had to trim the carpet from around the holes on the backs of the boards and on the van to get them to fit! And don't get me started on the roof panels! What a nightmare getting the holes lined up!

The ceiling will be coming down later this year as I need to run cables for extra lighting and speakers. I'm also going to fit a halo roof. Hopefully that'll be a bit easier!

We're off to Cornwall on Saturday for a few days away (first time in the van) and we will be making a pitstop along the way in Bristol to see the guys at Ovano to have my bed/drawer system fitted! Can't bloody wait!
Hopefully they won't mind us unloading a weeks worth of camping gear first!

After fitting the bike rack, I thought it just looked a bit weird being a 2 bike rack, so I bought the extra bits and turned it into a 4 bike rack! Looks much better! Also fitted the higher rated struts to cope with the extra weight! View attachment 117574

I've finally managed to get my carpet lining done. I made a few very silly mistakes, but managed to do a pretty good job overall! I'm very proud of myself with having never done anything like this before!
View attachment 117575
View attachment 117581
View attachment 117576View attachment 117577View attachment 117578

I don't know about anyone else, but the longer fixings to get the panles back on we're a complete ball ache! I had to trim the carpet from around the holes on the backs of the boards and on the van to get them to fit! And don't get me started on the roof panels! What a nightmare getting the holes lined up!

The ceiling will be coming down later this year as I need to run cables for extra lighting and speakers. I'm also going to fit a halo roof. Hopefully that'll be a bit easier!

We're off to Cornwall on Saturday for a few days away (first time in the van) and we will be making a pitstop along the way in Bristol to see the guys at Ovano to have my bed/drawer system fitted! Can't bloody wait!
Hopefully they won't mind us unloading a weeks worth of camping gear first!

Looks good. I know you may not have had chance to give it a test run yet but what do you think of the Thule Wanderway? Bike rack is the next job on my list and am weighing up the different options.

Looks good. I know you may not have had chance to give it a test run yet but what do you think of the Thule Wanderway? Bike rack is the next job on my list and am weighing up the different options.
Bike rack was brilliant. Its a bike awkward to get the bikes on, but once on and everything is tightened up, they aren't going anywhere!

What an amazing week we've had in Cornwall. The weather couldn't have been better, well until the slight downpour we had when packing up! We stayed on Looe but went all over. We went to St. Ives for the first time and were blown away by how nice it was, maybe it was the 23c temps that were helping! Haha We also visited Polperro, St. Austell, Tintagel, Port Issac and loads of other places.

We have learnt a hell of lot with this being our first camping trip in a long time! Hopefully the next one will go slightly better!

Just shy of 1000 miles in 5 days and the bus ran flawlessly! Now I fully understand why people fall in love with these things! I don't think there's many other vehicles that could have done what we asked of it! Can't wait for the next adventure!

We also made a pitstop to Bristol on our way down to Cornwall early Saturday morning to see the guys at Ovano. After fighting through the ridiculous traffic on the M5 we finally arrived 40 mins late! Both Josh and his dad were very understanding and got stuck in helping us unload a very packed van. Within what felt like seconds they had installed the unit and were again helping us repack the van. After a brief chat we were on our way again heading for Cornwall. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, but the unit is bloody fantastic! The quality and fitment is sublime! I honestly can't recommend the guys at Ovano enough! Were over the moon with it and it's already been put to good use this last week with us camping!

Here's a few pics from our week:
20210529_052946.jpg
20210529_095531.jpg20210529_101453.jpg20210529_170743.jpg20210529_202601.jpg20210530_105228.jpg20210531_210214.jpg20210531_220011.jpg20210601_114800.jpg20210602_212904.jpg20210603_112541.jpg

Finally got my hands on some 18" Amarok steels.
Was a bit worried it would look weird with the larger wheels and stock ride height, but I'm pleasantly surprised. It definitely needs lowering though. I'm wanting about a 90mm drop. Looking around the SoLows are coming out on top as they give a 100mm drop. I've also been looking at the Bilstein Komfort low kit. I'm still undecided though as I'm not sure I'm ready to throw £1.5k at suspension for a van! I know I'll get abuse for this, but what do people think of the Stance+ kit? I'm thinking of going with them as a temporary measure to get the look I want until I get something more fancy! Or am I being stupid and should I just wait?

20210623_172143.jpg20210623_172116.jpg20210623_172133.jpg

20210623_172127.jpg

Back