Tires in France

slybacon67

T6 Pro
Hi ,,, strange one here. I have a van that I bought second hand and it came with 20” wheels that to be honest I’m not all that keen on. I was given some advice from a reputable local campervan outfitter yesterday who said that if i get a blow out on the continent no garage will fit a new tire. He didnt see my wheels but I suspect they are genuine Volkswagen but hard to tell and def aftermarket fitted. Anyone got any experiance of this happening to them and do Volkswagen fit 20” wheels to vans.

Seeing as more and more cars come with 20s on I can't see why they wouldn't fit you a new tyre, there might be a little wait trying to source one but other than that I'm sure its fine.

VW do give 20s as an option as far as I'm aware

I don’t see any reason why if they are correctly load rated, but when I go abroad I put my original Devonports back on. Firstly to make life simple if I need to get a tyre or put the spare on, and secondly so I’m not smashing through an expensive set of 20” tyres in a month.

Edit:-just checked my pics and that’s a lie. I went to France last year and kept the 20’s on. Was a last minute trip straight from Bala weekend.

Hi ,,, strange one here. I have a van that I bought second hand and it came with 20” wheels that to be honest I’m not all that keen on. I was given some advice from a reputable local campervan outfitter yesterday who said that if i get a blow out on the continent no garage will fit a new tire. He didnt see my wheels but I suspect they are genuine Volkswagen but hard to tell and def aftermarket fitted. Anyone got any experiance of this happening to them and do Volkswagen fit 20” wheels to vans.
Did he say why?

No I never really asked. Poss could only mean Volkswagen dealers but also suggested may be issues with insurance.
I can't really see how there could be a problem tbh. If you rocked up at a "Pneu" shop with the wheel in your boot, took it out & said "stick a new tyre on this SVP". What would be their grounds for refusing, apart from you being Anglais & they're about to close for midi.

I don’t know the French equivalent, but I’d kind of understand this if it was Germany and the fitter had to comply with TUV.

Even then, I haven’t heard this before, and have read a fair few posts of members trekking Europe.

Back