Timing belt tension check

Slunkie

VIP Member
Hi all,

After a bit of advice. CXHA engine but this probably applies to all.

Had my timing belt changed recently, checked it afterwards (top cover pops off in 2secs without tools) and all looked great, noticed belt tensioner indicator was in the middle of the 'cutout' so all good.

But after a few hundred miles for some unknown reason I decided to take another look and of course the belt still looks new but the tensioner indicator is now a few mm below the 'cutout'.

Is it normal for it to move, especially over minimal mileage? Not sure if it means it is potentially too tight or loose, but should it be readjusted to put the tension indicator back in the middle again? Or might that throw the timing out?

I looked in the maintenance and engine manual but there wasn't anything about inspecting tension, only inspecting and changing the belt.

Perhaps some people could have a look at their belt tensioner indicators to see if this is irregular please?

Cheers

You could follow the part in the manual and retention the tensioner.

The tension does vary slightly whether the engine is hot or cold, did you re check when the engine was hot?

It was cold both times checked.

Is the consensus that it should not have changed then (should still be centre cutout) so best to have it adjusted?

It would seem like the only safe way to go, make sure that the mech’ re-engages the timing lock kit to verify timing after a minimum of 720 degree engine rotation.

Back