Time for winters?

Scruffy

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Well, the central heating clicked on this morning, is it time to put the winters on?

Was 3 degC here in Czech Republic today( was 18degC the previous day). Really should have brought a jacket with me. Never mind back to the uk today

I dont change until it has been below 7 for at least a week..

Mrs Loz does not allow the heating on until I can see my breath! :cool:

Got home from work and the Mrs had the log burner going in the living room it ain't cold yet, I'm off camping over the weekend the lovely weather is still here yet.

Still surfing in a Summer suit. So not yet.
If it snows here, I shall be using the Subaru on Winter rated tyres not the Cali on rather low rent Bridgestone Summers (bloody stingy VW).

Nokian WeatherProof All Seasons with me, bring it on Rain Mud Snow Ice (not too cold), I am ready even in June:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Bring on the winter with me heated front screen and heated leather seats I will be toasty :)
We have heated seats in all three vehicles - essential for post surf thawing out.
However the Cali's real Winter party trick is a remote controlled heater with a timer. We can stick it on before we get in the van, set it to come on in the morning or even keep the remote by the bed in case we need it at night. And it's a proper weapons grade diesel heater too!

Oh and the missus is a good "hot water bottle" too of course. :D

Last edited:
Well, I've had a week with the winters on, and that was interesting. We had snow, quite a bit, and as expected the tyres were great, but blimey! they were a bit " lively" for the first 500 miles or so. I know there's a coating on new tyres and they have to be run in quite often , but it wasn't nice for a few days. I've put a good 700-800 miles on them now and they are fine, but a warning to all. Take it easy for the first few hundred miles.

Pretty lucky in the east Midlands the weather doesn't get to bad. I have not needed winter tyres yet as I simple don't work if I have to shoval snow off my drive.

However I might invest in some winters just in case. Get sone cheap sportline 18s and wap on some tall, skinny nokians.

Thinking back, my first car a Viva had crossplys, those skinny tyres and a complete lack of power made winter driving a doddle in the snow.

Never had winter tyres, even when we had serious snow I've coped on the Std tyres I've had. You just have to drive carefully and not like some of the numpties you see ploughing past mind you for the past ten years I've had a 4 x 4 now it's going to be a little different in the swift I use

I'm very happy for you if you don't need to spend the extra cash on a set of winter tyres, but for me they are absolutely necessary for the journeys I undertake. From the Alps skiing trips to getting home late at night in 6" of fresh snow, winter tyres have been the reason I was still moving. No amount of "skill" or experience or careful driving (including several Chelsea tractors) would have got anyone up and down some of the hills I've got up. Its just physics. Some people "need" LED driving lights, front splitters, rear spoilers (on a FWD FFS!) 20" alloys and some people actually need winter tyres.

, rear spoilers (on a FWD FFS!)

Rear spoilers are for rear stability and/or aerdynamic flow. It has nothing to do which wheels are being driven.

People forget or don't understand that the rear is just as important at turning the car as the front.
Of course on road cars 5/10 times they are styling.

Back