Thoughts on my layout ?

fidav

T6 Pro
I’m thinking of converting a LWB Kombi and wondered if anyone can see any snags or issues with my plan! (I’ve attached my scribbled design )

I plan to use the van as my main vehicle so need 4 seats minium. I need to cart about a large dog and several bikes daily. I also want to be able to do weekends away in the van however don’t want to cook in the van ! Would like to be able to sit in cab area and sleep up too.

1. Make front seats swivel (although concerned at the lack of distance between front and back seats !)
So might just make passenger seat swivel (unless you can sit at any angle ?)

2. Lift out the 3rd seat in the back so I can fit a dog crate in here.

3. Raise the floor in the back to the height of the wheel arch and put underfloor storage and water tank at rear of van (for washing bikes)

4.Fit storage rack down lhs over wheel arch up to back of dog crate (~25cm deepX120cm wide)

5. Fit 3 removable bike racks across the rear of the van (front wheel removed and fork secured style)
Allowing 130cm x 40cm per bike, front wheel off

6. Fit 4th removable bike rack across width at the very back of the van

7. Fit pop top

Not planning on cooking in van but thinking that in the drawer storage under the floor I would carry a stove, small fridge (size dependant) and cooking /eating utensils.

Does this seem doable or am I

58E147C9-4AD5-45BC-89CD-398369622C93.jpeg

I don’t know much about bike storage, but drawer storage Has worked so well in my van. It’s an SWB and the drawer goes almost up to the back seat on 1260mm (or there abouts ) long runners. It’s a wide drawer, so I released the spring on one of the drawer locks on one side so not having to reach both at the same time. Here’s some pics

AE923FBB-A781-4EEF-A942-2816AEDA855C.jpeg

9BCE7588-72AC-4F6A-8C9A-374D5EA4882E.jpeg

Can you not get 4 bikes in longways by alternating them facing forwards and backwards?

I don’t know much about bike storage, but drawer storage Has worked so well in my van. It’s an SWB and the drawer goes almost up to the back seat on 1260mm (or there abouts ) long runners. It’s a wide drawer, so I released the spring on one of the drawer locks on one side so not having to reach both at the same time. Here’s some pics

View attachment 79244

View attachment 79245
Hi @cleave14
What bed/shelf system is this please?

It’s my own design. 18mmpoplar ply I laminated with Formica. I think I over engineered the platform a bit but it certainly takes some weight with no flex. Drawer slides From GSF Slides
Looks great, just what I’m looking at doing with mine, did you have any plans or just built from scratch?

I’m thinking of converting a LWB Kombi and wondered if anyone can see any snags or issues with my plan! (I’ve attached my scribbled design )

I plan to use the van as my main vehicle so need 4 seats minium. I need to cart about a large dog and several bikes daily. I also want to be able to do weekends away in the van however don’t want to cook in the van ! Would like to be able to sit in cab area and sleep up too.

1. Make front seats swivel (although concerned at the lack of distance between front and back seats !)

3. Raise the floor in the back to the height of the wheel arch and put underfloor storage and water tank at rear of van (for washing bikes)

4.Fit storage rack down lhs over wheel arch up to back of dog crate (~25cm deepX120cm wide)

5. Fit 3 removable bike racks across the rear of the van (front wheel removed and fork secured style)

7. Fit pop top

Not planning on cooking in van but thinking that in the drawer storage under the floor I would carry a stove, small fridge (size dependant) and cooking /eating utensils.

Does this seem doable or am I

View attachment 79234
Hi @fidav ... I noticed you have a question mark on drivers seat....We decided just to swivel the passenger seat only as we don’t table eat in the van and lots of electrical bits under seat ...and it’s a pain to move the hand brake to swivel the seat.. But your plans look good

Hi. We have similar aspirations in that I plan on keeping my LWB Kombi as a useful van and have no intention of filling up the space with cooking equipment!
My thoughts on your plans;

- I have swivels on both front seats. Yes, you need to release the handbrake to swivel the drivers but there is plenty of room once swivelled to sit around a small table. The seat slide adjustment allows it to sit quite far forward

-I’ve no experience of this but assuming the space allows for one i can't see a problem.

- No problem but you are limiting headroom for the bikes quite a lot.

-Why not.

- If you want to but the LWB will swallow whole bikes without wheel removal behind the Kombi seat.

- I don't see the need as @dubber36 mentioned.

7. Fit pop top
- why not.

- that is a small fridge!

Hi. We have similar aspirations in that I plan on keeping my LWB Kombi as a useful van and have no intention of filling up the space with cooking equipment!
My thoughts on your plans;

thank you for the reply. Good to know the seat info and I did wonder about fitting the bikes in without the having to take the wheels off. Would be much better from a convenience point of view.
Cheers

Can you not get 4 bikes in longways by alternating them facing forwards and backwards?
I could possibly but was thinking it would be a pain having to reach / climb in to secure them behind the seats hence why I was thinking of having them all facing forward. But good to get me thinking

That does look like what I was thinking, just a bit lower. Thank you for the pictures and great to know it works well.

Back