The little s****s smashed my window

If you read carefully the questions insurers ask about claims, they almost certainly refer to claims made, losses suffered and incidents that have occurred. Your expectation that not claiming for an incident is, for the insurer, equivalent to no incident having occurred is, I'm afraid, false. From an insurer's viewpoint, the fact that the incident occurred is germane - in simple terms, the fact that someone backed into your driveway and damaged your car means that the risk of it happening again is higher when compared with someone for whom this has not happened.
This was an on street incident - we don’t have the luxury of a drive. The. Car and van are insured as ‘parked on road near owners house’. And I can understand their view of if it happened once it could happen again for some incidents although in theory anyone’s vehicle is at risk of some muppet backing into it on any road so has my risk really increased?Did that gentle impact make it more attractive for others to hit me? And why do they charge more for ‘parked on the road’ if they aren’t already envisioning the odd parking scrape?

I would say they need to be clearer on their forms.

I was filling in a form for a quote with a different insurer and went on to accept the quote. The question that raised the issue was a simple ‘how many claims have you made in the last five years?’.
As there was no claim I found it odd they then told me I had forgotten to mention a claim.

If they would ask how many claims or notifications of incidents then I could understand.

It’s about time they used plain English and were clear. If they mean ‘claims or notifications of events’ why don’t they say that? We aren’t all insurance company employees so might not get the intricacies of their wording.

Last edited:
Or just price up glass replacement.

If it happened to mine I’d probably just fix myself. That said, stone damaged glass usually is repaired without implication below a certain frequency!

This was an on street incident - we don’t have the luxury of a drive.
I misread your original post.:rolleyes:
I would say they need to be clearer on their forms.
Probably, but most people don't read/ don't understand the nuances of the current wording.
Did that gentle impact make it more attractive for others to hit me?
It's an indication of the nature of your locale and the type of people driving there - i.e. selfish bar-stewards that drive off.

just to give you all an update. its now been a few weeks and have only just got the correct glass fitted. it because it is a camper king conversion Autoglass, had to go to them direct to source the correct glass as they brought me the wrong one. So just for reference for any body it happens to just make sure they are aware of what exactly the van is, then you dont have to go through the same rubbish that I had too...Got there in the end.

Back