Team Chestnut Brown

I have an honest reason. Work night out at rugby. Suppose to be a meal and watch game. Actually turned in to meal watch game. Boss get company card out we all took advantage, 2 day hangover and no work. Lol

Sorry can't see any offset measurements on wheel running 255/35-20 tyres
If it helps they're Lenzo Conquista CQ2

Thanks for that! No chance of me getting away with 35 tyres here, the roads are shit. Looks the business though.

Sorry to interrupt guys:)
Do you know what risks are involved in having wheels this big? Especially with tyres less than 45?
With all respect to 20" owners

Ride comfort wont be as good on big wheels and even less so with lover profile tyres. The more tyre wall there is the more comfort you should have especially on bumpy roads. Larger wheels can drain a bit of power too.

Thats obvious .
But i meant gearbox damage :(
80% of gearbox failure is due to large wheels. our gearboxes are not suitable to run bigger wheels than 18 inch with 45 tyres.
If your gearbox fail on wheels larger than current Sportline model..... You are loosing vw warranty and you're out of pocket for new one. :(
Sad but true.

Bigger wheels won't fail your gearbox.

Out off balance wheels will. The 5 speed gearboxes are poor anyway on all vws. The diffs are spot welded and always fail. Did on mine. A bad map with too much torque failed my 5 speed eventually.

Corrected map by pendle and 19"s with 275/40 tyres for the past 50k miles. No issues.

Last edited:
Well.....
I guess You know best :)
I let my brother know.... he wasted almost 20 years being Vw engineer .

Go for 22" why not?

Regards

Am running on 19" OZ Versilia and 255/50 tyres
I will get my brother one day to explain it in detail . But when i bought my T6 he said

"we getting 5 months old vans with transmission damage every week. Almost all with big wheels. People are crying when I am explaining that this repair will not be carried out under manufacture warranty.

Hmmmm well that just spoilt my Sunday night. Lol.
Mine was purchased as a conversion with the wheels already done? Do I speak to my supplier?

I ran 20" on my T5 for 70000 miles, no problem for me, must have been lucky, mind you it was only a 102 bhp so no power to do any damage :)

20's van had 250 miles on it when I got her. Might have a chat with him. But he puts 20's on all his vans ?

Ok.
I have info first hand!
If you have racing in mind you better of with standard wheels or 19" tops and make sure your tyres to have as big profile as possible.
Another thing is the weight you caring . If you have kombi for daily use and caring some weight than you're fine having bigger wheels unless you don't do racing.
Worst combination ever is when you loaded on daily basis ,having 20" and like fast corners.
There are cvs that goes first .
And remember do not mis-shift on red ! :)

@DaveBos
I know people who run on 22" for years and they fine . But you never know :)
If vw not selling with bigger than 18" that means something .

Did 168000 on my old T5 140 6 speed manual with Revo stage two DPF deleat running 20" wheels .
, besides the general service items discs , brakes it only cost me an intercooler and DMF and clutch at 120000 miles .
Fully serviced at VW Preston and mainly on motorway miles . Hope my 180 DSG T6 is as reliable . Already clocking the miles with 15000 since I bought it at the end of March , managed 1610 miles last week , feels like I've got the Napa leather seat welded to my arse .

Back