Taxation Class Question

If your vehicle started as a panel van it will remain a light goods vehicle on your v5 until you've met the required criteria and sent of a change request to the DVLA to reclass it as a motor caravan.
A little search will bring up details on that as it's been covered plenty of times before.

If your vehicle started as a panel van it will remain a light goods vehicle on your v5 until you've met the required criteria and sent of a change request to the DVLA to reclass it as a motor caravan.
A little search will bring up details on that as it's been covered plenty of times before.
Is there a difference in cost if it's a campervan to a panel van .

An example - a Birchover bought new from Hillside, first registration was as a campervan, taxation class on the V5 is "Light goods" and the category is 'N1'.
Cheers
Phil

An example - a Birchover bought new from Hillside, first registration was as a campervan, taxation class on the V5 is "Light goods" and the category is 'N1'.
Cheers
Phil
Totally agree with the "N1" and Campervan bits but I actually got 2 V5 documents - the first showed as Van/Side Window rather than Campervan. I had to get this original V5 back to Hillside which they then had amended to Campervan once they had completed the conversion and sent the photos off - all of this took place ahead of the date of first registration with me shown as first registered keeper on both versions of the V5. I had always assumed that this was the normal practice, i.e. first identity/registration of a PV has to be as a PV and then changed once proof of conversion to Camper supplied??

all of this took place ahead of the date of first registration with me shown as first registered keeper on both versions of the V5. I had always assumed that this was the normal practice
I don’t know what is normal, but we are the second registered keeper. The converter registered the van to themselves first even though under their contract were were the owner. We were not best pleased, but probably no long term consequence.

I don’t know what is normal, but we are the second registered keeper. The converter registered the van to themselves first even though under their contract were were the owner. We were not best pleased, but probably no long term consequence.
I wouldn't be happy with that either. Did you do a factory order or was it a van the convertors had in stock?

Totally agree with the "N1" and Campervan bits but I actually got 2 V5 documents - the first showed as Van/Side Window rather than Campervan. I had to get this original V5 back to Hillside which they then had amended to Campervan once they had completed the conversion and sent the photos off - all of this took place ahead of the date of first registration with me shown as first registered keeper on both versions of the V5. I had always assumed that this was the normal practice, i.e. first identity/registration of a PV has to be as a PV and then changed once proof of conversion to Camper supplied??

Mine was done the same - be thankful that it has been done that way! It is a workaround the punitive taxation that we would have to pay on a vehicle over £40k for 5 years . We would be paying an extra £310 each year for 5 years. I don't know how long it will be until they catch on to the fact that this is happening and they are losing taxation.

Theoretically we should only be paying £140 a year. I shall see in a year's time.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be happy with that either. Did you do a factory order or was it a van the convertors had in stock?
It was ordered for us to our particular specification!
The mileage at transfer to us as registered keeper was 95 so demonstrably only the converters mileage as it included trips to subcontractors like VB suspension fitment

Mine was ordered from the factory via the converter and I paid the cost on delivery to them so I purchased a van @ say £25K then I paid the rest for conversion later so I therefore did not pay for a vehicle over £40K as such at first registration. Sneaky but it seems to work. If I had purchased the vehicle as a registered completed conversion it would have cost over the £40K so would have been liable for the extra.

It was ordered for us to our particular specification!
The mileage at transfer to us as registered keeper was 95 so demonstrably only the converters mileage as it included trips to subcontractors like VB suspension fitment
Even more reason to be annoyed - no way I would want my “brand new” camper to show someone else as the first registered keeper unless this was made clear from the outset. At least if/when you come to sell you can explain the 95 miles and, presumably, short time period between date of first registration and transfer to you.

@Martinf in our case, even with the expected 2 stage registration (PV then Camper) the date of first registration was the day I picked the completed conversion up - one big difference is probably that Hillside did everything in-house??

Mine was done the same - be thankful that it has been done that way! It is a workaround the punitive taxation that we would have to pay on a vehicle over £40k for 5 years . We would be paying an extra £310 each year for 5 years. I don't know how long it will be until they catch on to the fact that this is happening and they are losing taxation.

Theoretically we should only be paying £140 a year. I shall see in a year's time.

Sorry but this a Trading Standards issue.

If you are buying a 'new' vehicle you should be the first person named in the log book. If the vehicle has been pre-registered, either to a dealer or direct from the manufacturer, you are buying a second hand vehicle. Because ownership affects depreciation, your vehicle is not to the value you have paid for it, and you therefore have a case to bring to the Trading Standards under the Sale of Goods act.

The money you think you may have saved as a work around the tax is actually significantly less than the loss in value of your van due to it having 2 owners. You've paid list price money for a second hand vehicle.

That's my take on it. I'd be livid if a dealer tried that one on me but it's very common unfortunately.

Rubbish! I am the first person named in the log book. There has been no change of ownership at all.I purchased the vehicle as stated above. Nowhere have I stated that the vehicle was pre-registered. Methinks you have the wrong end of the stick there. Bringing Trading Standards into the mix has only muddied the waters and is superfluous.

Rubbish! I am the first person named in the log book. There has been no change of ownership at all.I purchased the vehicle as stated above. Nowhere have I stated that the vehicle was pre-registered. Methinks you have the wrong end of the stick there. Bringing Trading Standards into the mix has only muddied the waters and is superfluous.
I think there was a bit of a crossover in @Teesix response with the situation you were describing (similar to my own) and that of Martinf (whose van was effectively pre registered to the convertor).

Sorry, crossed wires. I was refering to what Davenjo just explained.

I think there was a bit of a crossover in @Teesix response with the situation you were describing (similar to my own) and that of Martinf (whose van was effectively pre registered to the convertor).

Indeed. Thank you.

Back