Tailgate Wiper-Motor space

Sackmycook

Ex-owner
T6 Legend
Evening all, my PV tailgate has just had a rear window installed and carpetted and I've just put the curtains up. I have a void centrally where I'm guessing the rear wiper motor would sit in a casing ?
I can see my mobile phone or similar disappearing down it from time to time when Boris let's me go camping again.
My initial thought would be to get a used casing and bond it in place. But I was thinking I could use it for storage by making a chubby hole ?
Any suggestions gratefully received

20201230_193032.jpg

I'd ruled that out as being too complicated ?
You've got me thinking now about a retrofit.
Anyone got that banked ?

Evening all, my PV tailgate has just had a rear window installed and carpetted and I've just put the curtains up. I have a void centrally where I'm guessing the rear wiper motor would sit in a casing ?
I can see my mobile phone or similar disappearing down it from time to time when Boris let's me go camping again.
My initial thought would be to get a used casing and bond it in place. But I was thinking I could use it for storage by making a chubby hole ?

View attachment 96896
I quite fancy using a wiper casing and fitting a wireless phone charging dock but I’ve not got round to making one yet.

Is the standard rear wiper fitted through a hole in the rear screen glass, if so you need a new rear screen.

I filled mine in and carpeted over

I'd ruled that out as being too complicated ?
You've got me thinking now about a retrofit.
Anyone got that banked ?
It can’t be that difficult a job fitting the parts, the wiring would be the hardest part I would guess and the whole in the glass. Any decent glazier would be able to do that for you though.

It can’t be that difficult a job fitting the parts, the wiring would be the hardest part I would guess and the whole in the glass. Any decent glazier would be able to do that for you though.
I kind of like the clean lines of the wiperless window truth be told and not had any visibility issues with road grime so far

Yes it was. £7 switch from eBay and a bit of timber shaped and sikoflexed in place in the void and the stretch carpet.

I do a lot of miles (1000/week plus) and the muck and grime is bad but as I really only use door mirrors it’s not a problem for me.

View attachment 96896
The other alternative is to fit the wiper box and hide / safely mount your rear-view dashcam within it. That’ll save it getting knocked about / wires snagged.

The other alternative is to fit the wiper box and hide / safely mount your rear-view dashcam within it. That’ll save it getting knocked about / wires snagged.
I have the wiper box/ cover. Just have to work out how to make it fit with tailgate carpeting etc.

I have to sort the same issue on mine. I figured that I would cut another piece of ply that overlaps the panel coming up to level with just below the bottom of the trim. Few crafty pieces of wood carved as brackets then a small shelf on top of that maybe 5-7cm wide then carpet the lot.

Hi all,

Has anyone got any ideas about what I can do to this area of the van to tidy it up? It's the internal tailgate just under the window, where I think the rear windscreen wiper would go?

I think it looks untidy and curious what other people have done?

Pictures would be great...
Thanks

IMG_20220408_152146.jpg

IMG_20220408_152154.jpg

It’s on my to do list. My current thought is to stick a large piece of dense polystyrene into the recess then trim it to follow the shape of the tailgate curve and then carpet around the window and over the polystyrene. Should be able to make it unnoticeable. I did think of just putting the plastic motor cover trim panel there but it sticks out and would maybe annoy me. But that’s deffo an option.

I think it's lazy from the conversion company not to carpet the whole panel really! I got the van on Tuesday, and having giving it a close inspection found the conversion to be a bit "sloppy". Glue marks, screws loose, clips missing etc. Don't get me wrong, I love my new van and it's little things I can fix, I'm just nitpicking really, but this is my new pride and joy and I'm loving it... :)

Back