Tailgate Roller Blind

Graham Staples

I followed a 68 plate van down the road last week and noticed it has a roller blind fitted to the tailgate window, I enquired with VW and this is now a standard accessory (as well as side windows), just wondered if anyone has them fitted and could offer photos...I'd like to see some fitted before handing some cash to VW

I thought it was only available as part of the Cali tailgate insert? We have the the blind but also has the two chairs holder too.

It's a good job. Nice and compact retracts right out of the way. Can add a photo or two tomorrow if still required.

Thanks Dilbert, it would be great to see a photo. Is the roller at the bottom and pulls up to close?

The van I followed was a standard kombi with steel wheels so assume a Trendline

I haven’t seen anything VW to do this only one I’m aware of is as above Cali tailgate trim with chairs and integral blind, out of curiosity I looked up the price of one and just for the lower trim panel it was over a grand and that was without the top half and the chairs !!

Is the roller at the bottom and pulls up to close?

Yes, that is correct - pulls up from the bottom.

Some photos below of the whole Cali tailgate trim with the blind, LED lights and chairs. It is expensive - we paid about £1600 for the whole assembly (incl chairs) 2 years ago. It was fitted as part of our campervan conversion.

You also need to uprate the tailgate struts according to if you just have the Cali insert and/or a bike rack as well (struts have different load ratings).

DSC_8577.jpg

DSC_8573.jpg

DSC_8574.jpg

DSC_8581.jpg

DSC_8579.jpg

DSC_8578.jpg

I followed a 68 plate van down the road last week and noticed it has a roller blind fitted to the tailgate window, I enquired with VW and this is now a standard accessory (as well as side windows), just wondered if anyone has them fitted and could offer photos...I'd like to see some fitted before handing some cash to VW

Graham I take it the van was a Cali, and not a Shuttle / Caravelle?

Thanks for the photos Dilbert, that set-up is great. I've seen it in a Cali before and expected it to be quite expensive.

The blind I saw was on a standard kombi, it had steel wheels and looked liked a basic panel van (but with side & tailgate windows. The side windows were only in the slider & opposite side)

I've attached a parts diagram from VW

Roller blind #1.jpg

Graham were the blinds the privacy type or just the mesh sun-type? If the former, I’d be interested in the prices for these for my camper build.

I followed the van down the road so couldn't be sure but they were light grey in colour (I think sun blinds are usually black) and I definity couldn't see inside the van. That's why I'm so interested as I want them for my camper build

Thats really nice Ronnie
afro.gif

I especially like the rear blind...

Last edited by a moderator:
I followed the van down the road so couldn't be sure but they were light grey in colour (I think sun blinds are usually black) and I definity couldn't see inside the van. That's why I'm so interested as I want them for my camper build
Graham did you find any more out about this?

The only similar thing I could find was this Good Night Package

Not really...I spoke to various people at VW and nobody knows anything about them. The only option is to order the parts and hope they do the job but at a few hundred £'s I'm not sure it will be worth the risk. VW sent me a parts list and diagram but they can't even guarantee if it's a sun shade or a black-out blind. I think I just have to keep my eyes open for another van with the blind fitted and ask if I can have a look.
I've attached an image of the parts diagram but have all the part numbers to go with it

Roller blind #1.jpg

Back